BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up after rear seal replacement and being in shop several weeks. Battery dead. No big deal. Jumped it then drove home and put on charger. Now Won’t start and makes bad whirring crackling electrical noise briefly then just constant buzz. Thoughts?

·
Registered
601 Posts
The battery may have died because they pinched some wiring while doing the seal replacement which would probably require them to drop the back of the engine. When they put it back together they may have shorted out some wiring that has in turn drained the battery. The crackling electric noise you are hearing could be that short to ground. I would be pulling all the plastic off and having a good look.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
Most of the inspection can be done under the seat. But judging on the fact that you go a jump and the bike started OK and drove OK. Then I would believe the battery is shot. You said put on charger, was it a charger or a battery tender? I would try a true charger that is capable of 2-6 amps to try and revive the battery. There is a circuit in the starter system that prevents it from engaging if the battery is low. Charge it and then let it sit a day and measure the battery terminals, should be at least 12.6.

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
59 Posts
Picked up after rear seal replacement and being in shop several weeks. Battery dead. =
Have them come get it. If they caused the problem they need to take care of it. Any reputable shop will take care of it.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Have them come get it. If they caused the problem they need to take care of it. Any reputable shop will take care of it.
A reputable shop would not have let a customer pick up a bike with a dead battery that had to be jumped.

Reactions: ibbones and krazzz
1 - 6 of 6 Posts