BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
New member here! I inherited this beautiful 2002 K1200LT from my best friend this year when he passed from cancer. I got her out of storage and gave her a good ride. The bike performed flawlessly until about six weeks ago when I let the battery die. After charging back up and now using battery tender between trips, I'm getting the following anomaly:
During cruise, radio cuts in and out ( I can tolerate this)
During gear changes, the bike dies, I lose everything, including power brakes!!!
As soon as I release the clutch back out, the bike revives and all is well..(minus the radio)
This also obviously happens when coming to a stop, which is very disconcerning, because the braking deteriates and I almost rolled thru an intersection!!!! After it dies at a stop, it starts up normally with the starter switch.
I've checked all the connections to the battery, and they all seem tight. One note, when I loosen the negative terminal connections, I'm getting sparks....I don't think that is normal.
Any ideas? The dealership is over an hour away, and most of the Harley bike shops nearby might not work on BMW's, although I haven't asked yet.
Yoke

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
First off, welcome to the asylum, and to the wacky world of LT ownership... it is a true love/hate relationship (mostly love).

Have you checked the grounding lug aft of the battery? Common failure point if the connection is not tight.

A little sparking when connecting negative at the battery is fine, just do not do it in a potentially explosive atmosphere.

Have your battery load tested, tells a whole lot more than just checking the voltage.

If the bike has an issue, fix it yourself... you can do it, and we are all here to lend whatever assistance we can. If you fill in the remainder of your profile, including city, you may very well find that there are fellow members relatively close by. It is quite common for us to visit each other and assist with LT issues. That is the kind of group this is... It is what we do.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Can you tell if the bike dies as a result of pulling in the clutch lever, or moving the gear shifter? How old is the battery, and is the fluid level OK? I know from sad experience that it's easy for a 'tendered' battery to lose electrolyte.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty sure it dies when the clutch is pulled, then I shift, then it starts again as I let the clutch out. I looked for the grounding lug, but wasn't sure where it was.

YOke

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
TheYoke said:
Howdy,
New member here! I inherited this beautiful 2002 K1200LT from my best friend this year when he passed from cancer. I got her out of storage and gave her a good ride. The bike performed flawlessly until about six weeks ago when I let the battery die. After charging back up and now using battery tender between trips, I'm getting the following anomaly:
During cruise, radio cuts in and out ( I can tolerate this)
During gear changes, the bike dies, I lose everything, including power brakes!!!
As soon as I release the clutch back out, the bike revives and all is well..(minus the radio)
This also obviously happens when coming to a stop, which is very disconcerning, because the braking deteriates and I almost rolled thru an intersection!!!! After it dies at a stop, it starts up normally with the starter switch.
I've checked all the connections to the battery, and they all seem tight. One note, when I loosen the negative terminal connections, I'm getting sparks....I don't think that is normal.
Any ideas? The dealership is over an hour away, and most of the Harley bike shops nearby might not work on BMW's, although I haven't asked yet.
Yoke
I'm assuming from that statement that you have disconnected the negative cable from the battery and then reattached it (got sparks). After reconnecting the battery, did you perform the TPS (Throttle Position Setting) procedure? Disconnecting the battery deletes all entries stored in the Motronic control unit and when you reinstall the battery, the loss of those entries can temporarily impair the operating characteristics of the control unit - you then have to give it a hint of what to do in regards to the throttle/idle, etc. That procedure is:

Switch on the ignition - don't start the engine
Fully open the throttle and then release it (do this twice)
The Motronic will register the throttle-valve positions
Turn the bike's ignition off, then on; start the engine and take a short drive of a few miles.

I don't know that this will fix your total problem, butt it is a follow-up procedure you should do anytime the battery is disconnected, or the Motronic fuse is removed (bottom fuse in the far right side fuse box). Good luck - HTH.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
This sounds like a bad battery, but need additional information. What is the voltage on the battery bike not running off the charger, then what is it bike running. Do you know how old the battery is?

The sparks you see are normal and nothing to worry about, unless the are really big. All the grounds are tied to a common point just to the back of the battery towards the rear of the bike.

·
Registered
999 Posts
TheYoke said:
Howdy,
The bike performed flawlessly until about six weeks ago when I let the battery die. Yoke
my experience with batteries that get totally discharged - garbage, will not hold a charge, will not fully charge

·
Registered
194 Posts
It would be very odd for a bad battery to cause these symptoms. I'm on the road without my schematics, but I wonder if the clutch switch is the culprit.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,916 Posts
Although this picture is from an 05 the tie points are the same. The one without the insulator is the common ground tie point.

In the second picture is where a brouwn wire from that tie point connects to the transmission/engine. Not sure what the effects of this becoming loose is.

Next time don't shift and just pull in the clutch and see what happens. (After youy check the electrical connections.

I am with gary45 on the battery as most will not recover from a full discharge except a PC680.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys, Thanks so much for your timely support!!! I'm going to purchase a new battery and do the throttle reset procedure as noted above!

I appreciate it and will report back once everything is back together!

Yoke

1 - 10 of 10 Posts