BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. :wave First, I'm newer to this forum and I must say, I have learned a lot about my ride from this site, thanks! This is my first BMW and I absolutely love it. 05 1200RT with 40k miles and imported from the US simply because BMW Canada leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Oh and no, I did't pay $500 for a recall letter! Anyways, the electronic windshield does not work, no noise no nothing. Before I rip off every piece of tupperware off the front end I thought I should inquire here to see if anybody has heard of this or dealt with it... Thanks.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I don't own a bike that new... but have you checked ALL the fuses to make sure they are good. I had a similar problem right after I got my R1100RT and it was a fuse... simple repair, low cost... I now carry extra fuses...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks. This may seem like a stupid question though, but where might I find this fuse? I know there must be one somewhere but I am having difficulty locating it... Your help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Your bike has no fuses. The function is done automatically by the bikes ZFE (a computer module) that monitors loads on circuits and trips out if necessary (and then is automaticlly reconnected when the bike is shut down and restarted).

The circuit is fairly simple- a switch on the bar and motor setup. I'd suspect a switch or wiring / connection issue before a motor but sounds like you need to get out voltmeter and test stuff.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I have a friend with a 2006 RT that has a similar problem. His shield is stuck in a middle position and will not go up or down. I tried spraying contact cleaner in the switch but had no luck there.

I would be very interested in finding out your fix.

Ron

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I will keep you posted on my progress, if I can convince myself to work instead of ride... Should have some time this weekend. Thx.

·
Registered
444 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
This may apply, sorry if not...on my LT there are two relays. One for up and one for down. After replacing them twice with OEM I did a search and found that Moto Guzzi uses the same relays and have the same issues with them. If you find out that this is the problem PM me and I'll look up where I got the aftermarket replacements. A Moto Guzzi guru was selling them for $3 bucks and if you promised to send a check he would drop them in the mail that day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sambow said:
... Anyways, the electronic windshield does not work, no noise no nothing. Before I rip off every piece of tupperware off the front end I thought I should inquire here to see if anybody has heard of this or dealt with it... Thanks.
happened on my 06RT after a firmware update back in 08. Shield stopped working.
Tech had to reload the firmware and all was fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. Hopefully that's not the case as this would mean going to BMW and getting raped. I will leave this as my last option. Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts