BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 R1200RT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.. haven't posted in a while (cause I've been riding...) :)

Hope everyone is doing great and enjoying the summer so far.

A couple of weeks back my K1200LT center stand began working intermittently. I read every post on this site about possible causes and downloaded the PDF's from the HOW section and reviewed them. Today was my day to fix or diagnosis my problem.

I took the whole thing (except for the center stand) off the bike.

Here, in order is what I've done so far:

1. Checked the bike side connection for current. Had 12-13 volts. Assumed the switch and wiring are good.

2. Tried the motor with 12v (from another battery) and it did not run. Thinking back on it, I may not have had it grounded properly, so it may have run if properly hooked up.

3. Took motor apart and gave it a good cleaning and checked all areas for continuity. Everything checked out fine.

4. Tried the motor again with 12v (from another battery) and it worked fine.

5. Put complete unit back together (not on bike) and tried it. It still not work. Motor did nothing but hum.

6. Removed motor and flushed all the circuits with new hydraulic oil and reinstalled motor.

7. Put complete unit back together (not on bike) and tried it. It still not work. Motor did nothing but hum.

8. Laid unit aside and came in to right this...

Observations:
1. My hydraulic oil was not very dirty or dark when I changed it.

2. I have not noticed any leaks in my system.

3. I can place the hydraulic shaft (rod?) on the ground and depress it into the cylinder using my body weight.

4. The dark grey cog, inside the housing that the motor bolts to, (and the motor engages) is very hard to turn. I can turn it slowly with a flat screwdriver, but not my finger. I suspect this may be a/the problem, but not really very familiar with this at all. Not even sure how to get into that area of the unit.

I know several of you have had issues with the electric center stand and resolved them. Any ideas on what I need to do now? Any input or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Sammy

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,421 Posts
The pump body may be too tight together. There are four nuts on the bottom of the pump. Two are on studs that hold the pump to the main body and two are on through bolts that hold the pump together. Try backing off those nuts a flat at a time and see if that will loosen up the pump. Just a flat at a time on all four. Filling the unit is critical and you want no more than 150 ml of oil with 135 being optimal. If you exceed that you can crack the housing.

You should just be able to turn the big gear with a finger but it should not be loose.

·
Registered
49 Posts
had a similar problem. took the motor apart, drained water & dried everything thoroughly. reassembled & was elated that it worked on the test bench. reinstalled on the bike & just got a good hum out of it. ran fine until it was loaded & then just couldn' t pull enough current to turn the pump. i've seen where some have done this repair successfully, but save youself some grief & order a new motor; only about $40 from global. same motor is used as a honda scooter starter motor. if you decide to go this route & need more info, let me know.

·
Registered
2017 R1200RT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the replies. I hooked up the motor to the bike without the hyd pump to see if it would run. It ran a brief moment and then smoked some and stopped. I took the motor back apart and it had burned out. So now that I know the motor was going bad, I ordered a new one from EMS Global Direct. Should be here early next week.

A related issue I'm having is that when the pump unit is tightened with the four bolts at the rear, you can't turn the cog that the motor connects to in the housing. John mentioned about loosening them a flat at a time until I can turn it (the cog) with my finger, but that it's not too loose. I did this, but a couple of the bolts/nuts are less than finger-tight and can easily be turned by hand.

A rider in Australia (CWS I think...) mentioned he had the same issue with his pump being too tight when the four bolts are tightened and that he placed some "paper gaskets" between the three pieces (2 areas for gaskets) and tightened against them. His theory was that the little o-rings and small gaskets between the halves were compressing too much when tightened and hindering the metal pump(s) from turning.

I emailed him earlier today to get more details, but haven't received a reply yet.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I want to get this feature (EHCS) working again for my 06 LT. I really miss it.

Thanks again,
Sammy

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,421 Posts
It is a fine line on pump bolt torque. The pump should be hard to turn, just snug up the bolts and wait for your motor. You should be fine.

I have had several of these apart and no pump leaks. Like I said earlier put in no more than 135ml of oil. You can drain and fill the unit using only the large 19 mm bolt on the base. It is a spigot with two o-rings on it and if you hold the unit rod down at a 35 degree angle you can get about 50+ml in via gravity alone. The rest you can get in by depressing the rod/piston slowy as it will "suck" in oil from that opening. Place your thumb over the hole and cycle the rod a few times and repeat the filling process until you have put in 135 ml. Inset the spigot and you are good to go.

I have a new motor here in at the house you want to run over and get it. It's only 376 miles.:)

Here is the filler port and a jig I made to make it easier to work on these.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
sgroover said:
A rider in Australia (CWS I think...) mentioned he had the same issue with his pump being too tight when the four bolts are tightened and that he placed some "paper gaskets" between the three pieces (2 areas for gaskets) and tightened against them. His theory was that the little o-rings and small gaskets between the halves were compressing too much when tightened and hindering the metal pump(s) from turning.

I emailed him earlier today to get more details, but haven't received a reply yet.
Yep, thats was me and I sent a email a little while back... repeated here for good measure! :)

The paper gaskets are literally that, just cut from a thin sheet of paper... I think I used just normal A4 copy/printer paper, but I'd try with the thinnest material you can to start with, maybe something like baking paper. Try one side only, if still not enough, try a slightly thicker piece of paper.
I cut pieces for both sides originally and found that it then tightened very easily... so removed one of them and it still tightened enough to leave the pump turning freely.

Trace the outside and inside of one side of the pump inner sections, cut out with scissors or sharp knife. It'll probably soak up oil, which mine did straight away, but once tightened I saw no leakage.

good luck, feel free to ask any other questions!
cheers

·
Registered
2017 R1200RT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the note Chris and the help and offer John. I'll try this next week when the new motor arrives. I look very forward to trying it. A ride to AL would be great, but with my first grandchild coming any minute now, I don't think my wife will let me get loose for a trip.

Do you put lock-tite on the four bolts on the pump? Just curious.

Thanks again everyone.

Sammy

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
sgroover said:
Do you put lock-tite on the four bolts on the pump? Just curious.
I didn't, not necessary as far as I know.
Just beware putting too much oil in the unit as John said... if you blow that really fine gasket it can be resealed with some silicone sealant.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,421 Posts
I recieved one that was fully taken apart (including the pump). After I got it back together and working leak free I loosened the nuts one at a time and dripped a little blue loctite on 'em. Don't normally do that though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts