BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read most of the threads and tech files related to EHSC issues. As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be any solid solutions to the gremlin surrounding this design. Mine too now works about 1/3 of the time (2008 LT with very low miles). The owners take the unit apart, rebuild most or all of it, reinstall only to find out that it won't raise the bike. Low fluid, motor brushes, reversed wiring, blown O-rings...these are habitual problems with the unit. But other than a complete rebuild (as very nicely shown by Joe Gottberg), or the dealership charging a wad of cash, there's no simple fix.

I'm probably missing something here?

Kevin

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Mine was getting moody (the center stand, not the woman) about a week ago, and the electric motor was the problem. I took the motor apart and brush springs were toast. Ordered a new motor, and went ahead and replaced the compression springs for the brushes..... just to test the unit. The old motor then worked, and lifted the bike just fine. The new motor came in mail the other day, but I have not replaced it yet.

You might check the electric motor first.

Hope that helps.

Chris Ogle

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
starvingdrummer said:
miles). The owners take the unit apart, rebuild most or all of it, reinstall only to find out that it won't raise the bike. Low fluid, motor brushes, reversed wiring, blown O-rings...these are habitual problems with the unit. But other than a complete rebuild (as very nicely shown by Joe Gottberg), or the dealership charging a wad of cash, there's no simple fix.

I'm probably missing something here?

Kevin
Most that take it apart mess it up. It is a very simple system and quite easy to maintain. Blown o-rings were the result of no documentation on the amount of oil to put in. We now know that is 125-150m. next is mostly motor problems due to water and road salts getting into it and not being cleaned out. Good under carriage hygine is essential.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It seems there are references of a detailed removal/rebuildand/or service of the center stand... I can not find it out there. Anyone have some adice on where to look...? I'd like to remove the unit and verify the fluid level - what is the type fluid used - is it hyd jack oil? Any info would be a great help - THX!

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
nd4spd said:
It seems there are references of a detailed removal/rebuildand/or service of the center stand... I can not find it out there. Anyone have some adice on where to look...? I'd like to remove the unit and verify the fluid level - what is the type fluid used - is it hyd jack oil? Any info would be a great help - THX!
Top of page Files...... then Technical documents ........far right side

http://www.bmwlt.com/files/displayimage.php?album=15&pos=7

dan

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
nd4spd said:
See if this file will help you.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
As John says, It's a very simple system..

How many times has the dealership worked on it ? All BMW service is covered by a two year warranty...

They need to be fixing that thing for free if it's going to screw up that often..

John

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
I need to get mine out and looked at. Any suggestions for getting the beast up onto the stand?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
If you can wait until I get back to AL 9 Sep we can hook up and see about rebuilding that beast.

·
Registered
712 Posts
2 people (strong) one either side, use your foot to push down the center-stand & hold on the ground. Then with your foot holding the center-stand lift & pull back, both-sides at the same-time. I used the handle bar & the side-case handle as points to lift & pull.

alabrew said:
I need to get mine out and looked at. Any suggestions for getting the beast up onto the stand?

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Thanks for the offer John, didn't want to ask directly. I'm not in any hurry, it has hasn't worked consistently for over a year. Just give me a date/time and I'll be there!

Bighopper - we tried that. I even put a pipe across the legs for us to get a better push against the stand but she didn't want up. We ended up making a small ramp behind the rear wheel, rolling back until the stand would go all the way down and them disassembling the ramp. It worked but the bike didn't end up where I really wanted it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I guess my being 6' 2" & my son 6' 6" helped:)

Bighopper - we tried that. I even put a pipe across the legs for us to get a better push against the stand but she didn't want up. We ended up making a small ramp behind the rear wheel, rolling back until the stand would go all the way down and them disassembling the ramp. It worked but the bike didn't end up where I really wanted it.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
alabrew said:
I even put a pipe across the legs for us to get a better push against the stand but she didn't want up. We ended up making a small ramp behind the rear wheel, rolling back until the stand would go all the way down and them disassembling the ramp. It worked but the bike didn't end up where I really wanted it.
Trick I used... put a piece of 50mm (2") thick timber (about 200mm wide and 2 foot long) where you want the rear tyre to be, ride over it so the rear wheel is sitting up on it. This gives you most of the clearance you need to get the stand down... I've gotten it up a couple of times with just my dear 80+ year old Dad to give a helping push (and I'm not a big bloke).
How to get the stand off... click

1 - 14 of 14 Posts