BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got home tonight shut off key and the lights stayed on;so I turned the key a few times same thing. I pulled the - cable and put it back on lights still on.
2002 LT any ideas? Jim

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
have you added anything electrical new, I added a slave relay wired to the heated passenger seat switched power and it intermittantly held the load shed relay on, tore my hair out trying to figure that one out, I used the ground from that wiring as well as +12 - it would turn lights on hours after bike shut off, killed the battery

do not understand why it acted the way it did

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
One of your relays under the tank has gone bad.
I had this happen to me, took a while to find the culprit.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
sheldan2 said:
One of your relays under the tank has gone bad.
I had this happen to me, took a while to find the culprit.
I thought the only light related relay under the tank is for the brake light system. Dunno that for sure, butt I would like to know what lights remained on.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
For me it was headlight and my load shed relay was bad.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Jriverside said:
My headlights ,dash &tail stay on.
load shed relay

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Take the bad relay to advance auto, they can match it up with what they have, may have to trim a bit of plastic, but it will work and for about $20 vs BMW price, you will be good to go.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Not the load shed relay it will not cause a light to stay on, just cut it off. The ignition switch is the culprit in this case. The ignition switch feeds the load shed.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
john, with mine, the headlight would not go out, I thought it was the ignition switch, changed it out and the headlight would still not go out. I replaced the load shed relay and it fixed the problem. I am not saying that Jim's problem is not his ignition switch, just saying that once I replaced my relay it fixed the issue with my lights staying on after I had turned the bike off.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
sheldan2 said:
john, with mine, the headlight would not go out, I thought it was the ignition switch, changed it out and the headlight would still not go out. I replaced the load shed relay and it fixed the problem. I am not saying that Jim's problem is not his ignition switch, just saying that once I replaced my relay it fixed the issue with my lights staying on after I had turned the bike off.
Your comment made me go look at the diagrams again and you are absolutley correct. The load relief relay is energized by switched power and the feed is right off the battery. When the starter engages the relay loses the ground and opens the circuit. A shorted load relief will light all the loads. Thanks for helping me get straight on that.

So for Jim to see if this is his problem he just needs to undo the insulated tie point behind the battery to remove the starter lead from the equation then hook up the battery negative and see if the lights are still on. If the lights are still on the the relay is bad. If they are not then touch the lead back to the tie point and if they come on the load relief relay is OK.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are two big wires coming off the pos. side 1 goes to the rear and 1 looks like it goes into the big punch of wires going down toward the starter. I unhooked each 1 at a time and hooked the neg.The 1heading foward lights on. The toward the rear lights off. Do I need to take the tape off to find the starter wire? Is the tie point in the big punch of wires that are all taped up

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I think he was talking about removing the neg. wires from the tie point aft of the battery.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Wrong tie point. There are two - one is a bunch of brown wires with on Black/Yellow (with brown sleeve), this is the ground tie point. The second one has an isulated cap (if it is not missing) and this is the starter tie point. Find the black wire that goes forward up to the starter (usually the top wire). This tie point is the upper one in the photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got a grimin: PLEASE HELP When I first turn the key everything boots up normally. Sometimes the right turn light, right driving lights, right rear light and right gauge lights all stat on. When I press the right turn signal I can faintly see that the turn signal is flashing. After I drive her for 30-45 minutes and turn everything off. Take a break and re start then everything works normally the rest of the day Seems to be worse on really cold mornings

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Check your battery voltage lately, Master Chief?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts