BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many thanks to Chris (CWS) for his help and guidance yesterday.

We replace the oils seals on the main shaft. It's an easy fix except for the oil filling and bleeding (I got the money shot):histerica

120kms before this needed to be done. I think I'm lucky :D

Reactions: bfree

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
120kms before this needed to be done. I think I'm lucky :D
Think you mean 120,000km :D
my pleasure mate, but let me know it works when its installed back on the bike... just lucky I ordered 2 x sets of seals from JZ :rolleyes:

Edit: just saw you've got it in and functioning.. excellent!

:bmw:

Reactions: bfree

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
For the next go around use only the big 19 mm spigot for fill and drain. No more that 140 ml. Much easier to do that way.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
For the next go around use only the big 19 mm spigot for fill and drain. No more that 140 ml. Much easier to do that way.
Did that to start John, that's when Greg got his "money shot" when the damn large syringe let go all of a sudden... :histerica
I put as much in as I can through the large hole, then close that and finish off using a smaller 100mm syringe through the 2 little screws next to each other on the side.... about 90mm at a time with just a little loss (maybe 10mm or so) when it burps back, until it won't take any more through these holes after a number of pumps on the rod. I've never been able to accurately measure how much goes in due to burp back and loss of fluid during the fill... :eek:

Attachments

Reactions: sailor

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 19mm was the one we found that was finger tight on strip down! Gulp:eek2:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Well since it is the o-rings that seal it finger tight is OK for a while until it falls out. :histerica

I use the 19 mm for the entire fill but it helps if you have a fat thumb. I get as much as she will suck in on a rod stroke then cover the hole with my thumb and do two more rod strokes. Then I can get another fill cycle. I just keep covering and stroking (that sounds bad) until I can get it all in. Less spillage and I always get 140 ml in that way.

Reactions: GJPinAU and cws

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I just keep covering and stroking (that sounds bad) until I can get it all in.
you're right, it does sound bad... we'd better not ask for a video of that procedure :rotf:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts