BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to BMW after many years of H-D touring, and enjoying every minute of time in the saddle. I have always been a fan of maintaining vehicles well to extend usable life, and wonder if there is any information available concerning maintenance on the EHCS. I've read here about failures of this complex part of the bike. Any ideas?

Mtndave

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
No real maintenance that I have heard of. When it acts up, refilling it and possibly changing seals generally solves the problem. There are quite a few threads on this that you might find using the search feature. You will also find threads on changing the motor if it fails, along with links to purchasing a starter motor for a Honda scooter for under $40 to replace the original EHCS motor.

Look at the "Similar Threads," below, for additional information.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,062 Posts
The best thing to do is to keep the actuator rod clean as this reduces wear on the shaft seal. These will wear and become pitted if they are not kept clean. Periodic oil flushes are in order as well. (every two years) You can drain the unit (off bike) by removing the 19 mm "nut". It is actually a spigot with two o-rings. Press the rod in and out several times and drain out as much as possible. Then use a syring and measure exatly 135 ml of jack oil and add no more than that. Fill through the same hole and work the rod in and out (cover the hole with your thumb) until you have 135 ml in and replace the spigot. Just snug it up as the o-ring do the sealing. If she stops lifting then some oil has leaked out and you need to replace the saft seal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.