BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I received, from Haulbikes.com, a 2009 K1200LT I purchased from a forum member. It's the one (thread: broken lt) that has a transmission issue.

My question is: Does the gearbox need to be in neutral in order to use the electric/hydraulic center stand? The gearbox is stuck in 3rd gear. Is it the case that the EHCS will not function if the gearbox is engaged, even with the clutch is disengaged?

The reason I ask; the battery was depleted upon arrival. I put in on a charger for a few hours and then tried the EHCS. The EHCS indicator on the instrument panel just flashes and the the EHCS does not start to move. I realize that a couple hours will not produce a charge enough to lift the bike but I thought it might move the stand until it contacted the ground.

·
Registered
343 Posts
So you received the bike a little early, nice!

Are you not able to select gears manually? Do you have any play in the gear lever?

If you are looking at a tear down would remove the battery and keep a charge on it overnight to see if it can get up to and maintain over 12 volts.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you received the bike a little early, nice!

Are you not able to select gears manually? Do you have any play in the gear lever?

If you are looking at a tear down would remove the battery and keep a charge on it overnight to see if it can get up to and maintain over 12 volts.
The gear lever has no play.

They had told me January 8th so yes, a couple days early. BTW I have to recommend Haulbikes.com. Their communication was very good and the bike arrived undamaged and early. The cost was very reasonable (I think). $525 from Medford, OR to Kansas City, MO.

The previous owner said the battery was relatively new, and it looks it. But yes, I will keep it on a trickle.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sounds like an interesting project. Keep us posted!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Put the battery on a conventional charger for a few hours each day - do not leave it on all the time. Do this over several days until the open terminal voltage is 12.6 the next day before putting the charger back on. then you will know it will be OK. This will help bring it back from the dead and I have had good luck with this method. Especially on PC-680 batteries that were completely dead.

You can manually deploy the center stand with some help from a few people, mostly to hold the bike upright, as you move the stand down to contact the floor. Then just pull the bike back and it will go right up.

I'll chime in again when you get ready to open up the transmission as there is a few tricks to make it go smoothly.

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Put the battery on a conventional charger for a few hours each day - do not leave it on all the time. Do this over several days until the open terminal voltage is 12.6 the next day before putting the charger back on. then you will know it will be OK. This will help bring it back from the dead and I have had good luck with this method. Especially on PC-680 batteries that were completely dead.

You can manually deploy the center stand with some help from a few people, mostly to hold the bike upright, as you move the stand down to contact the floor. Then just pull the bike back and it will go right up.

I'll chime in again when you get ready to open up the transmission as there is a few tricks to make it go smoothly.
jzeiler, I will definitely take you up on that offer when I get the gearbox off the bike. Thanks for everyones input.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
"You can manually deploy the center stand with some help from a few people, mostly to hold the bike upright, as you move the stand down to contact the floor. Then just pull the bike back and it will go right up.

I roll the rear wheel onto a 2x4 and lay a board perpendicular across the stand for both of us to push against to make it easier to git her up.

Reactions: Tj Nigro

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"You can manually deploy the center stand with some help from a few people, mostly to hold the bike upright, as you move the stand down to contact the floor. Then just pull the bike back and it will go right up.

I roll the rear wheel onto a 2x4 and lay a board perpendicular across the stand for both of us to push against to make it easier to git her up.
Thanks, I'll try that.

I'm gonna feel a lot better when it's on the center stand. The side stand seems a little precarious. It feels like it could too easily roll forward and off the side stand. Besides, it'll have to be on the CS to work on it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks, I'll try that.

I'm gonna feel a lot better when it's on the center stand. The side stand seems a little precarious. It feels like it could too easily roll forward and off the side stand. Besides, it'll have to be on the CS to work on it.
As s a new LT owner, I will go through some of the basics particular to the bike, as follows:

With the weight of this bike, it is particularly important to ensure it is not pointing downwards on any appreciable slope. It is also useful to ensure it is in locked in gear, as yours is now, and cannot move any further forward. With these two steps taken into consideration, you should not have issues with the side stand.

If you have a scissors jack, which will come handy when you drop the tranny, you can use it carefully making sure it is forward of the center stand and resting on the bash plate. Lift the bike on this jack just enough to deploy the center stand by hand.

You will then be able to remove the hydraulic module to do a bench test (did the battery come back to life?) and work on the bike.

There are numerous videos out there to help you work on this bike, let us know what you need and we are here for you!!

Best,
M

·
Registered
41 Posts
...Besides, it'll have to be on the CS to work on it.
Project Warning:
I don't think the transmission can be serviced in a meaningful way while on the bike. To get the transmission off the bike, you'll have to remove the center/side stand assembly completely. Also the rear wheel, rear drive, swing arm and paralever, the shaft, the tank, pull out the injector rail, detach/lift the air-box, then loosen the front screws that hold the engine and completely pull out the transmission attachment screw to sink it enough to be able to pull it out. Is a major work.

Please see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVOpRUf40OM

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Here is a little light reading to help you prepare for the task at hand. While the main focus here is clutch replacement, you have to remove the transmission to do that.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is a little light reading to help you prepare for the task at hand. While the main focus here is clutch replacement, you have to remove the transmission to do that.
I'm truly grateful for the input from you guys. I know this is an ambitious project. I'm no stranger to mechanics and I figure I can follow instructions. I've watched Kirk Johnson's videos a number of time. and will watch them again. I will have a laptop handy while doing the work to follow the videos step by step and be able to playback parts.

I'm going to print out the pdf (thanks jzeiler) as a guide along with the Clymer and BMW Shop manuals.

I think the key is not getting in a hurry. Kinda like eating an elephant; one bite at a time. It'll be fun!

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm truly grateful for the input from you guys. I know this is an ambitious project. I'm no stranger to mechanics and I figure I can follow instructions. I've watched Kirk Johnson's videos a number of time. and will watch them again. I will have a laptop handy while doing the work to follow the videos step by step and be able to playback parts.

I'm going to print out the pdf (thanks jzeiler) as a guide along with the Clymer and BMW Shop manuals.

I think the key is not getting in a hurry. Kinda like eating an elephant; one bite at a time. It'll be fun!

That is always the best way to approach a project like this. Never dwell on the size of the entire job but instead look at it as a bunch of smaller tasks that lead to your final goal.
At the end of it you wonder what all the fuss was about. :grin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts