BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

My EHCS has failed, luckily I have a spare, but unfortunately it is also bad. I found the seals list here in the forums file area and it was a great help, however I did not see the piston head seal or bearing listed anywhere. This spare EHCS was opened before I bought the bike and the last person destroyed both of those. Does anyone know a part number on those two items or an idea where to look for them. O-rings have been purchased, but cannot not find information on the piston items.

Any help would be great!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,186 Posts
If you had bought the BMW kit from:

Allied Metric Seals and Fasteners Inc.
2 Wilson Drive
Unit 4
Sparta, NJ 07871
Phone: 973-383-2487
FAX: 973-383-3329 [email protected]

It now includes the piston seal and guide ring for $130 and also has the shaft seal/wiper as well as the 40 mm o-rings.

I have found them to be a bit too thick and they take some time to break in for smooth operation. As far as I know they only sell the complete kit.

Those two parts should never need replacing UNLESS some one dorked them up on re-assembly.

At one time I had a quote from Seal Source (where I get most of my rebuild parts from) for the seal itself
R-0040M-42/BR UT 18.0500 18.05
PS. 40.00 X 3.95H X 1.30C P.SEAL - PTFE at $18.05 each to make them in small qty. My quote # Quote 1157030-0001

This was back in 2014. You may want to try them:

Seal Source Inc. 15943 NE Cameron Blvd. Portland, OR 97230 503-281-0020
Sealsourceinc

P.S. I have rebuilt over 50 of these so far and keep 4 units on the shelf as well as custom end caps and shafts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I had already begun sourcing the o-rings, as the videos I have watched all said the same about the piston seal and bearing. I probably should have opened it up to see what the guy that owned the bike before me had broken.

I will probably order the kit if they still have the piston rings in it as my hydraulics place has no idea where to find them. The one I am working on now is my spare, I still have another one on the bike that failed early last month that I'll rebuild after this one. Thank you for the sourcing information, I appreciate it! And yeah, I had read a few posts just before I signed up last night and had seen your name several times. You were the one I had hoped would jump in to answer my question. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wanted to update on this. I finally got around to ordering the parts for my ECHS. The complete kit with the piston wiper and seal is $125 + shipping, they also sell a kit with only the O-Rings and u-cup and wiper for $50 both can be found at Allied Metric Seals and Fasteners Inc. The gentleman I spoke with knew exactly what I was asking for when I mentioned BMW Centerstand

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,186 Posts
You will find that the piston seals are a bit thicker than the stock ones but they do work. It helps to "form" them by putting a screw type hose clamp around them for a few hours before you work them onto the cylinder. It is just hard to move the piston by hand until they get broken in a bit. Those guys have been selling those kits since 2008 when the basic seal kit was only $25.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts