BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EFX H3 MOTORCYCLE HID headlight conversion kit...value for LT owners?

Has anyone purchased an EFX H3 MOTORCYCLE HID light KIT for their LT? I often see them on Ebay for $89.00, sounds like a good deal? I have PIAA 1192 Platinum 1100X Super White Dichroic Driving Lamps on my R1100RT. The PIAA lights are very very good but seem like a bit of an over kill?

The idea of converting the older LT's standard low beam to a HID light seems like a straight forward answer to the LT's lighting issues. I have heard that the $199.99 HID kit solves the LT lighting issue. Does the HID kit that cost $199.99 fall into the BMW mantra I hear from some LT owners that "if it is expensive it must be good"?

The lighting issue on older LT's is something that some owners may want to address. Is the EFX kit a practical answer and a good value for LT owners or is it junk?

I hope that one of our readers has some experience with the EFX kit and can bring some clarity or...shed some light on the EFX kit. :sun:

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
I would still add a set of PIAAs for great conspicuity. I had them on my 3 LTs, including my current 05.

·
Registered
495 Posts
HID's are absolutely a necessity!!

If memory servers me correctly I got my from Raffy years ago and I would check with him on what is the current "Best" HID install. Works great with no problems.

You need all the light you can get LOL

Later Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
you do not need to invest anywhere near that many $$$.

DDM Tuning, out of san diego, has an H7 low beam kit for the bike for @$45. I have one installed in my bike and have been extremely satisified with it - it is as well made an electrical add-on as i have ever seen, and i work hands-on in the the technology business.

if you are an old phart, and like being prepared and having repair parts available in advance, you can purchase a double h7 kit from DDM, which is designed for use on an ATV, for only @ 15 dollars more. ;-) you then have a spare ballast/ignitor and a bulb in stock to make sure the ones in you bike will never, ever break. ;-)

as always, no financial relationship, just a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
hmmmm90s said:

DDM Tuning, out of san diego, has an H7 low beam kit for the bike for @$45. I have one installed in my bike and have been extremely satisified with it - it is as well made an electrical add-on as i have ever seen, and i work hands-on in the the technology business.

if you are an old phart, and like being prepared and having repair parts available in advance, you can purchase a double h7 kit from DDM, which is designed for use on an ATV, for only @ 15 dollars more. ;-) you then have a spare ballast/ignitor and a bulb in stock to make sure the ones in you bike will never, ever break. ;-)

How easy was it to install the kit from DDM and how long did it take to do it? How much more comfortable do you feel during a night ride than before the H7 kit installation.

·
Registered
276 Posts
al2it said:
How easy was it to install the kit from DDM and how long did it take to do it? How much more comfortable do you feel during a night ride than before the H7 kit installation.
Very easy straightforward install. Mine took about a half hour with a lot of think time to get everything right in terms of ballast placement etc., but that was with the nose tupperware off, as it was already off for some other work I was doing. With tupperware on, I'd guess it'd take about an hour with fiddling.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I second DDM Tuning. Had my bike less than a week and this was my first upgrade. No tupperware off, took about 45 minutes. Only because I work slow and methodically so 99.9% of the time my stuff works first time. However, if I did it again I would say 30 minute to do it. Much brighter, but I may not be the one to ask as I had mine on very fast.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I second...err third...the DDM Tuning setup. I got the 55w upgrade so was $10 more, but am absolutely loving it. The best bang for the buck upgrade out there, to your door for at most $60, depending on options.

Install was very simple, make sure to use the instructions on the website, much better than what comes in the box. The components are small than others, which also helps. I took off my entire nose cone for the install, but that is not necessary.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
hmmmm90s said:

Did you do the 35W, or 55W kit...? and if the 55W are you happy with the resulting light color.. (not too blue)

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Early last season I converted two Hella foglights to HID and I ordered a 55 watt kit that was supposed to be for a car. The ballasts were actually 55 watt but the bulbs were 35 Watt. When I called the vendor they told me there was not (at the time) any 55 watt bulbs. I ordered the 55 watt kit quite a bit extra so that I could swap out one of my headlamps eventually with 55 lamps.

My logic was if 35 watts was awesome compared to the halogen the 55 Watts would be like landing lights.

I have not looked in a while but I have not found a source for 55 watt lamps. If they are now sourcing 55 Watt lamps I would consider buying a few and swapping them in to the main headlight low/high spots.

I would be interested to know if they are really 55 watt....

The vendor should be able to give you the color temp you want..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts