BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the Edmonton motorcycle show today and lo and behold they had a 1600 GTL and GT.
Of course I sat on it as did my wife.
From a drivers point of view the seat is lower and hence the bike seems smaller.
Some winglets on the front to provide cooling air seemed rather flimsy and would probably loosen or break off. Also the covers for the crash bars seemed loose and flimsy.
When wife sat on the back and leaned against the backrest, the whole topbox seemed loose and ready to break off after awhile.
The rear seat also has a funny bump at the back of it and less space between rider and pillion.
The seat for rider and pillion is one piece and is an aftermarket seat makers oppurtunity for improvement.
I do not think passengers will be happy with this bike.
Personally I would buy the GT for myself only. A boy toy.
Or the 1200R because it is almost 350 pounds lighter.
Canadian price 27,000 - 30,000 dollars

·
Registered
167 Posts
You sat on a hand-built pre-production model. Its quality is not necessarily indicative of the final product. It's possible some of those problems would be present on the production models but it's too early to know.

·
Registered
205 Posts
CGameProgrammer said:
You sat on a hand-built pre-production model. Its quality is not necessarily indicative of the final product. It's possible some of those problems would be present on the production models but it's too early to know.
Probably even more of a factor is that they are undoubtedly the same bikes used at many other shows that have had hundreds of people climbing all over them.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will say that the top box is definatly not as robust as on the LT and it is smaller.
The passenger seat area is definatly smaller. No thigh support, almost akin to a bitch seat.
Lowered rear pegs might help.
The seating on the GT is a bit better.
A single seat pan front to back.
The fresh air winglets are an invitation to being broken off, kind of like suicide doors.

As a mechanical machine they have probably hit the mark.
Functional cosmetics fall a bit short. 7 out of 10.
driver comfort Excellent
Passenger comfort, missed the mark.

·
Registered
193 Posts
MountianMama said:
I will say that the top box is definatly not as robust as on the LT and it is smaller.
The passenger seat area is definatly smaller. No thigh support, almost akin to a bitch seat.
Lowered rear pegs might help.
The seating on the GT is a bit better.
A single seat pan front to back.
The fresh air winglets are an invitation to being broken off, kind of like suicide doors.

As a mechanical machine they have probably hit the mark.
Functional cosmetics fall a bit short. 7 out of 10.
driver comfort Excellent
Passenger comfort, missed the mark.
I hope you're wrong on that last point. Guess we won't know for sure until we get some unbiased real-world test rides. But I'm still getting my GT either way!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Wait for the production models before jumping to any conclusions. The hard points are fixed but all the tupperware and other soft points have been through numerous dissassembly and reassembly cycles. Even watching the videos you can see some changes from the pre production machines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts