BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Charlie,
I have not done that tour, But have toured on my own a couple of times. I think you will have a better time and save a bunch of money if you go on your own. Just bring a gps with European maps or rent one over there. Best situation would be to plan a trip over there with a few of your riding buddies. I can offer up some advice if you choose this route.

·
Registered
321 Posts
A friend did that when 1200GS was new and enjoyed it ... I think he got a discount for buying a new GS that year. I had a coupon too but couldnt take off that long.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sanjaun2 said:
Charlie,
I have not done that tour, But have toured on my own a couple of times. I think you will have a better time and save a bunch of money if you go on your own. Just bring a gps with European maps or rent one over there. Best situation would be to plan a trip over there with a few of your riding buddies. I can offer up some advice if you choose this route.
Thanks for the reply. Actually we've ridden the Alps with friends, not sure we really saved that much money in the long run, and some days we were riding around at the end of the day looking for lodging in the rain. I'm thinking there is a convenience factor in having lodging all picked out in advance rather than doing our own looking at the end of every day. Having someone do advance planning for us is worth something.

We would not want a "guided ride" where the group has to stay together, rather a start point and end point for day's ride and suggested route.

I guess what I am looking for are comments about accomdations arranged by the Edelweiss tour guides, disposition and demeanor of the guides, their flexibility in allowing participates to ride their own ride. It is impossible to know who else is going to show up in a group like that, but the experience of others is of interest to us.

Thanks,

·
Registered
773 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have done the Edelweiss tour of the Alps and enjoyed it. You pay more money than if you do it yourself but I like the idea of being with a group of folks at the end of the day. I also did not have to worry about where I was going, where I was going to eat or where I was going to sleep. As I get older, the less I want to worry. A cheaper alternative might be the tour called Moto Charlie...you can google it. I did that one last year and it was what I would call a "rider's ride...12 highest passes and everyday it was ride ride ride. No sightseeing, no churches, no castles, it was ride to the top of the pass than then ride to another one. If that is you cup of tea and at a spirited pace, you might try that tour

·
Registered
596 Posts
Charlie,
My wife and I are planning a trip to germany this summer. Of course I suggested we rent a bike for a weekend or so. My brain wants to go to the Alps, my wife says it is barren and takes forever and is a slow drive on the many switchbacks.
So our conundrum is to find that happy medium where both of us are happy. She has agreed to one or two passes and as many quaint villages as possible in Austria, Switzerland and Italy.
Two up planning is definatly different than a solo ride.

Go to Google maps and plan a route, any route.You will be surprised how close together most places are.I find that our perspective of looking at a North American map distorts our ideas of distance on a European map .

An Alp Switchback is not necessarily a twisty.

I have heard that Edelweiss is very flexible, we have their catalogue.
Define your flavor, being looked after or your own personal adventure.
Good luck

·
Registered
60 Posts
grahamw said:
Charlie

I had a look round the web and found these links:
http://motorcycleparadise.blogspot.com/2010/10/ultimate-alps-tour.html

pre planned routes by Swiss tourist board
http://www.myswitzerland.com/en/home/summervacations/adventure-sports-summer/motorbike-tours-route-descriptions.html

I also have a route from north to south Spain over the high interior with planned stops if you are interested.

Regards
Graham, I've done a lot of Spain (spend a lot of time in Cadiz) but always looking for more interesting and unusual routes up and down from Santander.

Be interested to see what you have my friend!

Ian

·
Registered
40 Posts
I lived in Germany for 15 years and did a lot of riding/driving throughout Europe. If you want a real experience, pick out a route and have Edelweiss plan it for you, then go. I would highly recommend Bavaria's country road, the Romantische Strasses (takes you through lots of middle aged castles and is a fun road), The Alps can be interesting, especially in Switzerland - my recommendation. Northern Italy is also very beautiful to ride in - Dolomites.

Mike

·
Registered
353 Posts
The wife and I did the High Alpine with Edelweiss. The guides were fun and more than willing to let folks ride their own ride. The morning would start with a meeting of where we were going and where the hotel would be at the end of the day. I liked not having to plan things as I get enough of that at work. If you want to go your own way, no problem. The guide could make suggestions of sights and roads off the established tour. The tour we were on broke into a faster pace group and a more relaxed group. The rooms were nice, your bags were waiting and never had a bad meal.

We are looking forward to doing a tour of Spain with Edelweiss. Oh, and you get a t-shirt. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts