BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 1200rt with just over 9000 miles on it. My dealer is running an ad for ECU tuning.
Will help my bike as far as power during normal use or just at top end?
Is it worth doing at all?
I ride quite a bit two up and sometimes find the power a bit lacking.
The price for this is $550.00
Thanks for any help...........Richie

·
Registered
96 Posts
Putting it in perspective although not an apples to apples comparison – but pretty close
My new (a year ago) 2011 GSX-R750 was set up lean from the factory. It was much more apparent than what I feel on the 2012 R1200RT; although, it is apparent that EPA had something to do with the final BMW tune.

I added the PCV, Auto Tune and Broad Band O2 sensor to my GSX. This and a full on Exhaust system really brought this bike to life and took care of the lean situation. The bike is happy at all RPM/speeds/conditions. There is; however, one EPA tune issue that I plan to resolve next week with a ECU Flash to not shut off the injectors completely with throttle closed – this does require an ECU tune to fix. If I had gone with a ECU tune up front, I may have been able to save hundreds of dollars for a similar final product.

for my 2012 RT, I am myself looking to:
PCV/ Auto Tune, or
ECU flash
(I have a Remus slip on now, and may go with complete system and certainly a K&N air filter)

If you choose to go with an ECU flash, you will want to have your final pipe and air filter configuration figured out for optimum tune.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
As I see that add, it is only for wide open throttle. I would suggest when you need more power to be in the 7000 RPM range or so, the real HP is in the upper reaches of that tach of course. If you are looking for power in the 4 to 5500 range your not going to find what is really on tap in the upper ranges.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Higher top end output. First bike on the list of units they will tune is the S1000RR. An RT is what it is. You want a faster two up bike for touring get a K1300S. :D Not much luggage room. The K1300GT is no slouch either. But we're talking RT's. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Given how picky BMWNA is about warranty stuff, I have to wonder if this is going to cause problems when they claim the ECU reprogramming caused the "problem" :confused:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, for the help. The RT is fast enough but lacks power when laving a stop sign or red light two up on a step uphill climb. I was thinking of the k16 but not sure about the weight of the larger bike. At 69 yrs. old it may be a bit to much to handle.
Richie

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
ka5ysy said:
Given how picky BMWNA is about warranty stuff, I have to wonder if this is going to cause problems when they claim the ECU reprogramming caused the "problem" :confused:
The advertisment states "may void warranty" which is code for you are now on your own. This is a mod for track bikes imho. And, looking at the dyno chart supplied, not a huge one. It also states that it will not help with poor running characteristics.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Richie1 said:
The RT is fast enough but lacks power when laving a stop sign or red light two up on a step uphill climb. I was thinking of the k16 but not sure about the weight of the larger bike. At 69 yrs. old it may be a bit to much to handle.
Richie
You are so right on, the tall gearing of the RT first gear is just a pain in the butt at stops or starting on a hill with a load on the bike. I hate it in stop and go traffic, the cars are slower than I can go in gear causing much clutch action. The low range GS transmission would be useful. You know, you need to test drive the 1600 for yourself to really get some thoughts on it. So many large bikes change character once rolling. And the CG is relatively low in the bike. The RT is a tall, gas tank heavy bike when loaded and fueled up. If you can deal with that then the 1600 might not be out of the question. Buena Suerte

·
Registered
175 Posts
Tall gearing?

Try a pre-camhead RT to REALLY experience tall gearing! I had a 2012 R1200R for a loaner last month and I was in heaven...well...until it started to rain...

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Thinking about it, this is a realistic answer to Richie's problem. Find higher ration rear drive at the junk yard (on line) or even new and install it. The leaveing the stop light syndrome will be over.
new gs adventure: 33 11 8 526 831 RIGHT-ANGLE GEARBOX W/ VENT, ASPHALTGR. - I=32:11=2,91 $1869.60

Your bike: 33 11 7 726 895 RIGHT-ANGLE GEARBOX WITH VENT, SILVER - I=34:13=2,62 $1869.60

Note the 2,62 vs. the nice desirable 2.91 unit. Expensive but what isn't. Worth putting feelers out there. Talk with someone who knows something as to whether or not the new unit will mess with your ABS count on the gear teeth on your bike (computer). but don't let me slow up the 1600 test drive.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
The answer to your issue is mostly in your riding style..

Get into that throttle a little more.. Rev the engine to get power..

You won't hurt it by spinning it fast.. But it does take some getting used to...

When you need power, Downshift and don't upshift till you hit the rev limiter..

When you do.. You'll be right in the power band for the next gear...She'll fly...

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.