BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 LT with the standard "Rattle" and am considering the EBC rear rotor instead of the newer (and more expensive) BMW refit.
Any opinions about which is better?
Anyone have a part number and suggestion on where to buy?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I am waiting for the EBC rotor to come in soon; EBC has distributors and the one in Waco is at the Honda dealership! Here's another thread that talks to the rotor Another thread

Any way, as was told to me by the BMW dealership parts guy, the rear rotor is only available for my '99 with the ABS sensor ring (cost doubles here). The newer LT (I don't know which year) has a rotor with five-bolt pattern that is supposed to be better than the previous 10-bolt pattern; not available for my model. I believe this has been talked about in other threads, so I apologize if I'm wrong on the bolt pattern numbers.

The EBC unit comes without the ABS sensor; simply unbolt from the old one, bolt onto the new one, set the ABS gap (thanks again, cfell, for the shim ideas), and no more rattle/racket/cow bell sound.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
wacolt said:
I am waiting for the EBC rotor to come in soon; EBC has distributors and the one in Waco is at the Honda dealership! Here's another thread that talks to the rotor Another thread

Any way, as was told to me by the BMW dealership parts guy, the rear rotor is only available for my '99 with the ABS sensor ring (cost doubles here). The newer LT (I don't know which year) has a rotor with five-bolt pattern that is supposed to be better than the previous 10-bolt pattern; not available for my model. I believe this has been talked about in other threads, so I apologize if I'm wrong on the bolt pattern numbers.

The EBC unit comes without the ABS sensor; simply unbolt from the old one, bolt onto the new one, set the ABS gap (thanks again, cfell, for the shim ideas), and no more rattle/racket/cow bell sound.
I would like rid my '03 of that cowbell sound! I was told by my servicing dealer that my rear rotor was going to need replacing soon, after getting the price for one, I about had a cow :eek:

So, I will be interested to see how the EBC rotor does compared to the BMW one!

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Curt is correct about the new design for the rotor, unfortunately it does not work with any bike that has an ABS II system. Therefore somewhere in '01 when the newer ABS system was introduced the newer rotor will work. At least that is what I understood my dealer/parts/service guy told me from the TSB. So I'm looing at the EBC also.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've been running the EBC Rotor and pads on the rear of my '01 for the past 12K miles, 11,000+ of them in July on a trip to alaska. IMHO it is the cat's meow. No bell ringing, no squeals, great stuff. I don't recall where I bought it, but it wasn't hard to find the rotor and pads with a net search.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
VRodPete said:
I've been running the EBC Rotor and pads on the rear of my '01 for the past 12K miles, 11,000+ of them in July on a trip to alaska. IMHO it is the cat's meow. No bell ringing, no squeals, great stuff. I don't recall where I bought it, but it wasn't hard to find the rotor and pads with a net search.
Same on my 99. About 6k so far. No rattle, no squeaks, and much more responsive brakes. For about 1/3 of the cost. I am usually not that into aftermarket hard parts, but this one is a winner.

I have EBC pads front and rear, rear EBC rotor, Spiegler brake lines, and an Illium brake pedal to accomodate my size 15 boots on the Illium floorboards.

My brakes work far better now, than they did when the bike was new.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I recently did the EBC change over and love it....price is right snd it feels like it should have since day one.

I got mine from http://cyclebrakes.com and it is the MD615 part number. I did as they suggested and changed out pads at the same time using the EBC F304HH pads.

After taking off the old rotor I sprayed the ABS ring/ rotor joint with PB Blaster penetrating oil and let is sit until I finished changing pads out in the caliper. I did have to drill the heads off of the old screws that hold the ABS ring to the rotor and then pried it off with no problems. The new rotor comes with new screws and be sure to red locktite them in.

All in all it took me about an hour to complete.

HTH,

Ron

·
Registered
45 Posts
kellenbenz said:
I recently did the EBC change over and love it....price is right snd it feels like it should have since day one.

I got mine from http://cyclebrakes.com and it is the MD615 part number. I did as they suggested and changed out pads at the same time using the EBC F304HH pads.

After taking off the old rotor I sprayed the ABS ring/ rotor joint with PB Blaster penetrating oil and let is sit until I finished changing pads out in the caliper. I did have to drill the heads off of the old screws that hold the ABS ring to the rotor and then pried it off with no problems. The new rotor comes with new screws and be sure to red locktite them in.

All in all it took me about an hour to complete.

HTH,

Ron
I've a a few ABS ring that were VERY stubborn to come off. You can drill 10 or 12, 1/8 inch holes into the rotor just inside the ring to release pressure on the ring. Then it will come off with a small pry bar or large screwdriver.
BTW this is Stevie not Sammie, I was on her computer so it was easy to ansewr here then switch to my computer. :D

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Stevie,

Is this the first time you are impersonating a female? :rotf: ???

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Wolfgang said:
Stevie,

Is this the first time you are impersonating a female? :rotf: ???
I didn't know he was a cross-poster either, Wolfgang. ... and he looks so innocent :lol8:

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I put the EBC rotor on my 03 and I love it. I hated that rattle and squeal. Nothing but smooth braking now and quiet, too. The price was right. I'd say go for it. You won't be sorry............... :D

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Steve_R said:
Curt is correct about the new design for the rotor, unfortunately it does not work with any bike that has an ABS II system. Therefore somewhere in '01 when the newer ABS system was introduced the newer rotor will work. At least that is what I understood my dealer/parts/service guy told me from the TSB. So I'm looing at the EBC also.
I double checked with the dealer yesterday. The TSB is for all model year LT starting with 1999. The TSB is just a notification that there is a new rotor available, it IS NOT a recall. Any bike newer than an '07, that when they cut the new rotor into production, that is still under warranty can have the rotor replaced. The price on the new rotor for those out of warranty is $440.00. EBC here I come.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I knew there was something strange about you. :histerica

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the EBC and it certainly cures the noise. But, pay close attention when installing as fitment can be an issue as some have had the hub rub the wheel. In my case the caliper did not line up properly. The inside of the caliper interfered with the rotor but some carefully choosen washers placed between the caliper and it's mount got it centered up just fine.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
beeper said:
I have the EBC and it certainly cures the noise. But, pay close attention when installing as fitment can be an issue as some have had the hub rub the wheel. In my case the caliper did not line up properly. The inside of the caliper interfered with the rotor but some carefully choosen washers placed between the caliper and it's mount got it centered up just fine.
Absolutely correct.

I ran one even after I pulled the wheel and saw the rub marks on my hub. I then took a Dremel and smoothed those areas down to a polish.

Then I was changing the rear tire and the pads were wore out but one side was wore almost to the backing plate. Proof to me that the rotor was not centered to the wheel.

When I bought my 07 I turned around after driving it off the lot and asked them about the cow bell. They said try to bed the brakes and if not they would have at it. Well we all know how that goes or don't.

They then put EBC pads in no charge. Worked for about 500 miles.

Rather then fuss I put the EBC on with the above findings.

As soon as I learned they were honoring a rotor swap I called, ran my old rotor down, got the new on and was on my way.

Then I found the uneven pad wear and put the new BMW one on and all is right with the world.

I loved the EBC but it DOES have a fitments issue. Some have used another spacer to help.

After polishing the rub marks I was still willing to use it but when I see uneven pad wear and I keep my calipers and pucks spotless, I have to stop using it.

I also wonder if the inset of the EBC rotor would cause any tracking or out of align issues with the FD/Shaft alignment?

Anyway just my experience.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts