BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The original rotor on my 2000 LT has been has had the cow bell problem for a while so I decided to replace it with the EBC.

I got the ABS ring off the old rotor by heating it in the oven, putting ice in the center and levering it off. Per the instructions from a search on this list I put the new EBC in the freezer and the ring just fell right on the new rotor. I thought cool, the temps will equalize and the ring will be tight, so I put the three retaining screws in and checked it about an hour later. The ABS ring spins freely on the new rotor.

What did I do wrong?? Is the new rotor out of spec, did I miss a shim somewhere?

Please help.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Not sure. I wouldn't think that heating and cooling would have caused an issue with the ABS ring or the EBC rotor.

I did not heat the rotor or use ice to get my ABS ring off. I drilled a dozen or so holes on the rotor hub just inside the ABS ring and levered the ring off. Then I used a rubber hammer and piece of wood to force the ABS ring back on. I never had an issue with the ABS ring being loose. I will use the same process when I upgrade the current LT to an EBC rear rotor.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
Steve_R said:
I did not heat the rotor or use ice to get my ABS ring off. I drilled a dozen or so holes on the rotor hub just inside the ABS ring and levered the ring off. Then I used a rubber hammer and piece of wood to force the ABS ring back on. I never had an issue with the ABS ring being loose. I will use the same process when I upgrade the current LT to an EBC rear rotor.
Plus 1 I have done 3 rotors this way & never had a ABS ring loose on the EBC rotors. Sounds like the rotor may be the wrong one or cast wrong.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I did mine about 3 months ago. Never used heat or ice to remove the ring (or drilled holes, for that matter- yikes!) I just carefully pried around the ring until it came up and off. Putting the ring on the new rotor was different. I heated the ring slightly- to about 200 degrees- in the oven, and chilled the rotor in the freezer. The ring dropped on and shrunk snugly around its mounting rim. Question: to what temperature did you bring the old rotor and ring when you heated it? If overheated, or by over-enthusiastic prying, its possible you may have distorted the ring.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ICXC said:
I did mine about 3 months ago. Never used heat or ice to remove the ring (or drilled holes, for that matter- yikes!) I just carefully pried around the ring until it came up and off. Putting the ring on the new rotor was different. I heated the ring slightly- to about 200 degrees- in the oven, and chilled the rotor in the freezer. The ring dropped on and shrunk snugly around its mounting rim. Question: to what temperature did you bring the old rotor and ring when you heated it? If overheated, or by over-enthusiastic prying, its possible you may have distorted the ring.
I heated the old assembly at 250 degrees for about 15 minutes and pried gently around the perimeter a couple of times to get the ring off. It had cooled quite a bit by the time I got it off.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have done a couple of these rotors and many - many other things using this heat - cool procedure and it does not sound to me like you did anything wrong, more likely there is something wrong with the new rotor. At this point you need to find someone who can measure the mounting surface on the old rotor and and the new one to compare, I have no dimensional information for this fit but it would only have to have a couple of mills tight fit to work fine as there is no strain on the ring. You should be able to find someone with the proper mics at any local machine shop so gather up your parts and head on down there to get the dimensions checked.
I would not recomend that you skip this cause whomever sold you the new rotor will likely question how they compared and what the sizes are.
Good luck with it!
Big Jim

·
Registered
323 Posts
I replaced my rear rotor about 1 month ago. The ABS ring was difficult to get off. I heated it up with a heat gun and used a gear puller with 3 arms.

The ABS ring fits on the new EBC rotor, slides right on. It's the 3 srews that hold it in place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts