BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
During my 36K service I changed the rear pads to EBC. The bike now has 52K and somewhere around 10K ago I began to notice a slight rear brake squeal. It occurs only at almost stopped speed and it is not a steady squeal, rather an intermittent one. Over the last couple weeks it has become increasingly louder so today I re-installed the old stock pads to see if it make a difference. It did, no squeal what so ever. (As an aside the stock pads never did make a sound. I changed them because the were nearly worn out.)
While working on the pad change out, I noticed the rotor was loose (somewhat) and I dont recall it being loose or sloppy before.

So I have a few questions:

1. What would cause the EBC pads to start squealing in the first place and what can I do? I really dont want to trash them as they have plenty on miles left in them. I'll have to do something soon because the old OEM pads aren't going to get me much further.
2. Is the rotor supposed to be a bit loose?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Here's what I do

I'm running EBCs too. Whenever they start that leetle squeal your talking about, I head to the nearest large empty parking lot and take the bike up to about 45 and tromp hard on the rear only almost to EBC intervention. Then ride a leetle bit more to cool the rotor off and do it a couple of more times. Seems to clear it up for me.

YMMV

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Any brake pads will make noise if they get dirt, mud, or grease on them. Perhaps this is the problem with your EBCs. I believe you can buy a cleaner designed specifically for brake pads. My EBCs haven't made a peep in over 30K. I'll be changing them with new EBCs in a few weeks.

And yes...the rotors are supposed to "float".

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DaveDragon said:
Mike, I put a stripe of CRC Brake Quiet on the back of each pad. This helps a lot.

Cleaning the face of the pads with sandpaper helps clear off the glaze as well.

Or you can get her up to speed and really rack down on the rear brakes a few times to kinda burn off the face a little :)
Thanks for the information Dave. In fact thanks to all who replied.
I guess what is puzzling to me is that in all the miles that I have accumulated (I'll just stick to BMW's here ;)) I have not experienced any pad squeal, stock pads or otherwise. I guess I got these dirty. ;)

Oh, and btw, I stopped by your favorite dealer, concerned about "excessive" float of the rear rotor. The movement seems to be with the range allowed. Again, I had never noticed that much movement before. Live and learn.

See you at Poncho's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts