BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to replace brake pads/

I see in the HOW an EBC part number for the rear pads.

can someone confirm both front and rear pad part numbers for a 99 LT before i order them?

thanks very much

kip
99 LT
 

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
Joined
·
2,601 Posts
Here are the part numbers:
The EBC Pads that fit the K1200LT are:

* FA304HH (Rear, all years)
* FA246HH (Front, standard ABS, 1998 through 2001)
* FA294HH (Front, integrated ABS, some 2001 (Canada and Europe), all 2002 and 2003)

They can be purchased online at OnOffRoad.com.

I would suggest that you purchase the BMW pads for the front as the ebc's tend to raddle. The ebc's do not come with the pad retaining click as the bmw pads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
I replaced both front and rear brake pads with EBC brakes purchased from Bike Bandit. It was hoped that using the EBC pads would solve "all" the squealing brakes.

I have since replaced the front with OEM pads, and retained the EBC for the rear. I still have a squeal in the last few feet of stopping from the rear. I reduced the squeal using an anti-squeal compound purchased at a local Automotive parts dealer, but not entirely.

Personally I would use the OEM pads all around, next time. I found the performance good in both pads, however I find myself explaining the squealing brakes to other riders a nuisance, not to mention why would a bike that should be engineering dream sound like it needs attention, when I know it does not.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
877 Posts
I too have EBC rears and factory fronts. No squeal now what so ever...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,905 Posts
I also recommend buying the BMW pads for the front. But I''ll go one step further in recommending that you buy them at a local dealer. If we want these guys to stay in business, we need to support them. They may even carry the EBCs you need for the rear as well. I know my little dealer does...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
mtrevelino said:
Here are the part numbers:The EBC Pads that fit the K1200LT are:* FA304HH (Rear, all years)
FA304HH pads are sintered pads. I can say that for the '06 model LT, at least, the book specifies that ORGANIC pads be used for the rear, not sintered.

EBC pn FA304 (no HH suffix)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,281 Posts
I have the '05 (Europe '04) with the FA304HH in the rear caliper. Excellent braking, no squealing. I don't see any reason to go for organic pads (less stopping power).

I haven't heard of any changes to the rear brakes for the '06 model, so I assume the FA304HH will be OK for that model as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
®win said:
I have the '05 (Europe '04) with the FA304HH in the rear caliper. Excellent braking, no squealing. I don't see any reason to go for organic pads (less stopping power).

I haven't heard of any changes to the rear brakes for the '06 model, so I assume the FA304HH will be OK for that model as well.
If Mother Motorrad says I should use organic pads on my rear brake (and she does, on page 70 of the Maintenance Instruction book), that's what I'm going to do, especially if it gives me the added benefit of silence when I stop, which it has, for the past 227 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
DaveDragon said:
I use EBC Front & Rear, Front have never rattled on my 02.
What I've been attempting to do with my posts in these EBC threads lately is to make the point that just making a generic reference to "EBC" isn't always the whole story.

EBC makes brake pads that fit the LT in both sintered (pn FA304HH) and organic (kevlar) (pn FA304) styles. This is important, to me, at least, due to the fact that BMW wants me to use sintered pads on my front brakes, and organic pads on my rear brakes. I see some posters recommending sintered pads for the rear brakes, arguing that sintered material provides better braking than organic. The problem is, this is counter to the BMW spec, for my '06 model, at least, and also comes at the expense of a greater wear rate on the rear rotor. My experience using organic pads on the rear has been that stopping power and brake pedal pressure are adequate in every way.

I installed EBC organic pads on my '06 227 miles ago, and each and every stop has been whisper quiet; no squeal, no noise of any sort. I hope it continues - the brake squealing business was an annoyance and an embarrassment, and it's a shame when customers wind up doing a company's R&D, IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,905 Posts
CriticalMass said:
What I've been attempting to do with my posts in these EBC threads lately is to make the point that just making a generic reference to "EBC" isn't always the whole story.

EBC makes brake pads that fit the LT in both sintered (pn FA304HH) and organic (kevlar) (pn FA304) styles. This is important, to me, at least, due to the fact that BMW wants me to use sintered pads on my front brakes, and organic pads on my rear brakes. I see some posters recommending sintered pads for the rear brakes, arguing that sintered material provides better braking than organic. [snip]
Just for the record...my current rear pads ARE EBC sintered pads. No noise! Nada. However...when I change them in a few weeks, I did buy the organic EBCs as an experiment. I'm betting that there will be no noticeable difference in stopping power. We'll see...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
messenger13 said:
Just for the record...my current rear pads ARE EBC sintered pads. No noise! Nada. However...when I change them in a few weeks, I did buy the organic EBCs as an experiment. I'm betting that there will be no noticeable difference in stopping power. We'll see...
That's very interesting to me - sintered and no squeal.

I have to keep qualifying that I can only speak to the BMW spec for the '06 bikes, but it clearly calls for organic on the rear. I don't really have enough miles (227) on the organic pads yet to know if the squeal is finally gone permanently - I seem to recall that it didn't start when I bought the bike until I had about 300 miles on it, so I'm still in a "we'll see" mode as well.

I certainly have no complaints about the stopping power with these pads, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,905 Posts
CriticalMass said:
That's very interesting to me - sintered and no squeal.
One good argument to go with NON-sintered EBCs is because they would be easier on the rotor. This is the reason for my little experiment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,165 Posts
messenger13 said:
One good argument to go with NON-sintered EBCs is because they would be easier on the rotor. This is the reason for my little experiment.
The HH sintered pads are not hard on rotors. I used them for nearly 100,000 miles, same rotor, still was good when I totaled the bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,905 Posts
OK...so allow me to reword my statement.


"The only thing harder on a rear rotor than sintered brake pads, is David Shealey." :D (Sorry David...just couldn't resist.)
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
16,569 Posts
On the '00-'01 LTs, the organic pads just didn't give enough stopping power. You could just about stand of the rear brake and the bike would kinda slow down some. I don't think you could ever get enough braking power to engage the ABS. So the HH sintered pads made a huge difference.

On the '02 and up Integral brakes, braking power isn't an issue. Many of us still use HH pads because they do help minimize the squealing. But I'm willing to consider alternatives as well. So I'm interested in how Joe's little experiment pans out, and I'd also like to get your results after a few thousand miles.

Let us know how it goes long term.
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
16,569 Posts
Nah, David was fine with rear rotors. It's the front of the bikes he kept having trouble with. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
meese said:
On the '02 and up Integral brakes, braking power isn't an issue. Many of us still use HH pads because they do help minimize the squealing. But I'm willing to consider alternatives as well. So I'm interested in how Joe's little experiment pans out, and I'd also like to get your results after a few thousand miles.
For the record, "Joe's little experiment" is already underway on "Dave's" '06, as posted previously in this thread. And, to reiterate, organic pads are BMW spec for my 2006 LT. Using HH pads on my bike would be going into "test pilot" territory. At the present time, I see no compelling reason to do that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,905 Posts
CriticalMass said:
For the record, "Joe's little experiment" is already underway on "Dave's" '06...
Then you don't understand the premise of MY experiment. I want to see if there is a substantial braking difference between the sintered and NON-sintered EBCs. And I don't give two hoots about what kind of pads BMW specs for a K1200LT...2002 or 2006 model. If something works better...it's better. Period. I don't give a rip what Hans or Franz says over there in BeemerVille. What's the worse that could happen? A fried rotor?! David Shealey already said his rotors were fine after 100K. My bike's getting sold before 100K...when the "new" LT is released. I guarantee it.

I don't mean to belittle your wishes to keep non-sintered pads. Your LT is much newer than mine, and still under it's factory warranty. Besides, the brakes are so good on these LT's, what's the point? I just happened on a good deal with non-sintered EBC pads and thought, "What the heck?".
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top