BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys.....lets skip the "get a cat comments," and go straight to the dead end......Any one got a solution for the mice, shrews, and other furry sob's that get up inside the bike and eat the damned wires?!!!!! After finally getting my 2005 LT replaced from the deer business, while installing my GPS. I found a nest.......on top of the gas tank and under the tupper ware....they had eaten my speaker wires....in a two day period of time. This means war....but sitting next to the bike with a pellet gun is getting old and I am getting sleepy.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
I hate meeses to pieces!

Hmmm... Is it a "fresh" nest or was it from "storage" by the dealer?

I'd put "moth balls" around... they tend to dislike the smell. Next is to provide bait to assist them to meet "the great mouse".

I use a peanut or pecan jammed into the trip plate and covered in peanut butter. Never fails in Texas or Louisiana to atract "temporary diners".

Otherwise you will need a "bubble" to put the bike in that is sealable.

If that isn't an option, make an "electric fence" DMZ. Take chicken wire or hardware cloth, space it about 1/4 inch apart horizontally... like a mat. Ground the upper wire, apply the juice to the lower wire and space the whole thing 1/4 inch off the ground... and insulate it.... to encircle the bike. Then you can sleep and you can awaken to the sizzle and tortured mouse screeches!

Hmmm... Farkle THAT!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had a Kawi we parked in a barn that had no doors. They shredded my wiring in 2 years. I guess they come for the warmth but stay for that insulation on the wires, supposed to have a sweet taste to them.
D-Con makes indoor mouse pellet stations. They are little green cylinders in a brown box. Invest in about $20-30 at the nearest Home Depot and surround your parking area with them. Mice tend to store food so keep an eye on your amounts and make sure you replenish them. Of course, this advise is for someone without children running around said area. In that case forget the poisons.
You can do the black light thing as mice tend to urinate as they move in order to mark their paths, better then bread crumbs I guess. A well established trail will show easily with black light and then can be bombarded with traps. Forget the sticky traps, one puff of dust or dirt renders them useless.
Good luck with this. I'm fighting the same battle with our LT in our garage now.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
eaten wires

Outstanding! A few trip flares, some claymores,....maybe a squirt qun with napalm.......nahhh might hit the bike.....lol

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had just found some chewed wires on my cub cadet.

I purchased 6 boxes of Dcon and placed them along walls in
my garages and barn. To my surprise, in a couple days they were
empty. I went to the local feed store and bought a box of
Havoc which contains 12 bags of pellets.(about $10) I have been using the bags to keep the original boxes full. The consumption has almost stopped.

I keep the box on my workbench as a reminder to check those boxes
to keep things under control.

A few months back I found signs while changing my air filter and did this
mod. Fortunately no wire chews.

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/sho...er=284319&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&vc=1

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Electronic Pest Control

Lots of experience with chewed wires here. Mouse nests in the airbox of my 1978 Datsun 280, under the dishwasher of this 250 yr old farm house.
They disabled my KLT by chewing the alarm system wires under the topbox, preventing the bike from starting.

By the way, mice are attracted only to new wires. When the wires get older, they seem to lose their appeal to the chewing varmits.

I put a bunch of moth balls in old socks when I winterized my 280Z one year, next spring found the socks had been used by mice to build nests. So much for moth balls.

(Old joke: Have you ever smelled moth balls?
Who held the wings? )

Back to mice: I suggest one of those electronic devices that squacks a high frequency and drives mice away. Of limited benefit in getting mice out of a building because they are just driven far enough away to get out of range. You need a bunch of them for a whole building, but just one will keep them out of your KLT.
Google "electronic pest control" and you'll get hits like this:
http://www.pestrepellerultimate.com/google.htm

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
Last year it was the rats.. not mice

And it meant absolute nuclear annihilation. Oh yes, I was kind. I used a Have-a-heart trap. It seemed like they loved Top Ramen.

Well I'm in California and hey there's nothing like a nice soak in the jacuzzi after a long day. I just dropped the entire trap to the bottom of the jacuzzi. Problem over.

Tom

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
"Well I'm in California and hey there's nothing like a nice soak in the jacuzzi after a long day. I just dropped the entire trap to the bottom of the jacuzzi. Problem over."

Kind of gives me "warm fuzzies" to think that they had a zen moment or two before going to that big rat hole in the sky. Did you turn on the jets and mix up some margaritas? ;) :) :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
I would try getting a couple of cats!!!! I think that would solve your problem. My cat keeps the mice and rats under control very easy they even work on holidays, nights and all holidays.

·
Registered
321 Posts
gas them buggers

Up here in the northland we have to store our bikes for several months. We use mothballs. (big moth?) We put them in a plastic dish so they don't discolor anything. I like to put them on the passengers boards and under the drivers seat. Then toss a cover over the bike. This has protected all my bikes for the last 25 years. The bad part of the mouse poison is that it is a bait and will attract more mice to the area. I use bait/poison in areas where I do not store my bikes. I also have some under the hoods of all our cars and we drive them all year. I never used to do it to the cars untilk I had to replace a wiring harness on my daily driver. I hope this give you some ideas.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just sent off for one. I have some poison around the area as well but not next to the bike. I did not want them attracted to the bike anymore than they were!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts