BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I travel two-up every year, some long rides. We pre-plan the first night stay usually, after that we often deviate from our original plans and routes due to weather, traffic, or just on a whim. We're not at a point in our lives where camping is an option.

At the end of the day, we want to check in to a safe hotel, park the bike, find a fine craft ale and a reasonable dinner within walking distance.

This has proven to be the hardest part of our trips, and the only source of conflict on the road. Has anyone used a booking app or gotten consistent results with on-line searches? The third party hotel booking apps can be devious, and generally offer no help to find restaurants and such in the area. Google Maps does not show many available hotels.

We use MyRoute App for routing and GPS connection. They are affiliated with Bookings.com, but again hotel searches do not do a good job of showing options in the area.

We often search independently, one person looking for hotels, one looking for food, and trying to synch the results.

I'm interested to hear how others navigate this area.

-KTM-Don

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Find a motel in the area you want to stay. Look at nearby food and drink if needed. Then go to street view to check out the motel. I prefer the old fashion one story horse shoe style but they are rare now. Have a back up in case when you show up there are kids playing, barbecues in front of rooms or cars that look dead. :rolleyes: Larger towns are harder to find good motels that you are parked out in front of your room. Takes some looking on the map. I do not stay in the typical modern 3 story hallway motels unless there is a tornado coming or other like incentive. Buy your beer at the store, sit on the motel porch or picnic area and chat with fellow travelers.

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
110 Posts
HotelTonight.com is decent to figure out what's available but I'm pretty loyal to a couple of brands because of work and discount codes, so I use their apps to actually book the room.

·
Cat Herder
1,617 Posts
Depending on what part of the country you are in or where you want to travel, the days of the quaint motels are limited. some in our group like to plan one day at a time and others plan every stop. The booking sites do work because all of the hotels in any smaller town are all lumped together and so are the restaurants.

I like the amenities of Hampton Inns and similar, but the price has gotten out of hand. Rooms are hard to get unless you book way ahead these days. If you find a motel chain that you like, book on their site instead of the booking sites.

I plan my rides to much and it becomes frustrating, but I don't like looking for 2-4 rooms for the group at 6:30pm at night in the mountains and it starts to rain... (live & learn)

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
110 Posts
I like the amenities of Hampton Inns and similar, but the price has gotten out of hand. Rooms are hard to get unless you book way ahead these days. If you find a motel chain that you like, book on their site instead of the booking sites.

I plan my rides to much and it becomes frustrating, but I don't like looking for 2-4 rooms for the group at 6:30pm at night in the mountains and it starts to rain... (live & learn)
Our small group just did our annual Spring Ride thing... found exactly this. Near 100% occupancy and significantly higher prices. Like you, our group likes Hampton Inn or Best Western depending upon the town. If we had waited until the same day to book hotels, we would have been really out of luck.

·
Registered
2012 R1200RT
40 Posts
Unfortunately these days if you stay in hotels I've found booking ahead is almost a necessity. After a long day I don't like the stress of no vacancy signs. It sure takes the spontaneity out of a trip, though.

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Personally, I need to know where I'm going to be staying. I mostly look for the "old fashion one story horse shoe style". If you're going to the National and heading West under St.Louis ( I can't ride though that city), I found the Sunset Motel in Waterloo, IL. Great town with two craft breweries in walking distance. Plus some nice/interesting restaurants. I'll be staying there night before and night after the rally.
I can't vouch, yet, for the motel, but it's what I usually look for.

Have fun,
Jer

·
Registered
4 Posts
My booking.com experience. Arrived in Denver this week. Got to the car rental agency (through booking.com) to pickup the MB or equivalent for 7 passengers. The agency said they haven't had them for years and that booking.com 'knew' that. I had to scramble. Cancelled the vehicle through booking and found something else. Booking,com sent me an email saying they were keeping $500 for cancelling. I will deal with them when I get home. Beware!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts