BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The easy electrical fix for nonfunctioning reverse is:
The electrical connector for the reversing switch is on the left rear crash bar. It is black and white & 4 wires. The brown green runs from the starter switch to the reversing switch. Cut into this wire, solder 1 of 2 wires. Run the wires up to the left handle bar to a push button switch (Normally Off). The second wire runs to a ground. The frame for supporting the upper fairing is NOT a good ground.
This is not unsafe: Both the regular starter switch and the new reverse push switch both must pushed at the same time for the bike to reverse after the large knob is turned to reverse. Obvoiusly this will not effect normal starting.

Should this be in the Hall of Wisdom? 2000 LT Icon
As always, responsibility and liability issues prevail.

·
Registered
437 Posts
"Left rear crash bar"?? On an LT?? What state and day of the week would that be?

Terribly confused.......

Pat

·
Registered
699 Posts
Perhaps he means to the rear of the left crash bar. You know, just forward of the reversing knob and gearbox, where the wire bundle is.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I reckon that taking things too literally is part of the problem too, eh? Or maybe cuz I grew up with "Say what you mean..." being pounded into me.

Thanks
Pat

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, the rear of the left crash bar...

Under the black and silver (or chrome) covers that get's scratch when you dump it, in front of the reversing lever, near the outside rear of the engine but a little to the north.... no up. :rotf:
Gee can't read my mind, made perfect since when I wrote it.
Did the rest of the simplified directions make sense.? Write me if you need more info.

Can't believe this was my 42nd project, now on to the front tranny input shaft seal leak, slave cylinder weep hole, crankcase leaks, valve clearance check, etc. Someday I may get to ride it. :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts