BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a small amount wetness (oily) on the underside of the rear drive at the dust cover boot. Not a drip but more of a weeping condition that when combined with the normal road dirt and grime, it appears wet.
Truth be told, if I had been washing the bike regularly I dont think I would have noticed it.
Today I removed the clamp from the dust cover (it wasnt loose but as soon as I touched it with a screw driver it was). Oil did not pour out as I feared, in fact nothing actually dripped out. I pulled the dust cover back and looked in as best I could and did not see any oil pooling in the low spot but when I stuck my finger in it came out moist. Not dripping but enough that I could tell when I rubbed my fingers together there was some oil in there. There was no noticeable odor.
Should I be concerned?
Btw, the bike is a '04 and has 52K on it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Possible rear end failure

I had a similar scare this last winter with an 02 (that I no longer own), I had BMW Denver check it. After disassembling it, they said it was OK and that it had probably been very slightly overfilled.
Current owner has been coast to coast on it since then and has had no problems.:thumb:
Me? Ever since, I have regretted selling it and have just gotten a new 06! :yeah:

·
Registered
86 Posts
sounds Familier

I had simular issue with my 03. Dealer replaced aft seal under warranty. was only a seep ...enough to get fingertips dirty.....Hope this helps

·
Registered
25 Posts
mjac said:
I have noticed a small amount wetness (oily) on the underside of the rear drive at the dust cover boot.
I had the same thing happen twice last year. It was just a leaking seal.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
This has been discussed many times here and it appears to be normal. My 99 has weeped a little since new. A slightly overfilled rear drive , high temperatures, or elevation changes have been referenced as the primary cause. If it is less than a teaspoonful , behind the rubber gator, then button it up and ride.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know that you are asking the LT specific question. But the first thing that sprang to my mind was my XJ 650 with shaft drive. Now in winter, when I ride here and it is minus degrees, then it takes a while for the oil in the final drive to get liquid enough and it presses out where it can. In this case at the top overflow at the rear end shaft. By the LT it might be a seal, the weakest point. I also would not get scared as long as there is enough oil in the rear end drive.
Just my 2 cents :bmw:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts