BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '09 LT with integrated braking. I was forced to replace the rear pads @ 10,300 miles; worn to the metal!
The dealer indicated that this is not unusual and went on to cite Triumph rear pad replacements @ 6,000 miles. I pressed the advisor and he could not cite a BMW example with pad replacement at such a low mileage.

Question to community: In your experience, is this typical?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have an 05 and 40,000 miles on her, and the pads are still only 1/2 worn.

Most likely I will change them this winter when I do a brake flush.

10,000 miles is not normal to me.

I am sure others will state their millage on pads.

Bowdon

·
Registered
494 Posts
I would say its a little early, however, if you use your rear brake a lot I guess it could be normal. That being said I go through almost two sets of front pads to every set of rears.
So you can see that how you use your brakes changes the whole dynamics of wear...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I'd say it has everything to do with how you use your brakes. If you ride them and crank them hard they are going to wear fast. Mine go for at least 30k miles. FWIW, my Triumph has 5800 miles on the original pads and they are nowhere near replacement :cool:

Seems like a favorite answer from service advisors is "they all do that" . :rolleyes: And, what the hell does a Triumph have to do with BMW brake pads :confused:

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I bought my LT used, with less than 9000 miles on it. I had to change the rear pads at approximately 12000 miles. Obviously, part of this wear was with the original owner. Since then, I have been averaging about 17000 on the rear pads.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
You guys are forgetting that his LT has linked brakes. The computer controls BOTH rear and front.

That said, 10K miles is a indicator that something is very wrong.

My LT has linked brakes and I could probably get 100,000 out of the rear pads. I checked them at 55,000 miles and they were less than 50% worn. The front pads were worn out at the same 55K miles.

Of course it all depends on the individual rider, but 10,000 miles is not right.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,553 Posts
If you have a heavy right foot and it is drooping onto the pedal it will cause premature wear. I went 29K before I changed my first set. Then I started dragging a little rear brake as I downshifted coming to a stop just to have the brake light on. Now I am on my fourth set @70K.

Usually it is the inner pad that wears the most and if the caliper pistons were not cleaned well when the pads are replaced they can cause the same wear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for weighing in. I really do appreciate your collective time.
Wardenross has the response I am looking for. The '09 has integrated ABS :bmw: It is unclear why the wear is so severe. It was just in for service in May '11 and supposedly the brakes were checked and all was "good". Now you may question that as I did, but that was the response.
I then travel approximately 3,600 miles and the rear is down to the metal backing plates! That is strange. What I am going to do is insist that the dealer pulse their service contact to determine if this is normal. I too will monitor the rear brakes more closely than before; like when I remove the rear tire for a tire change. The fronts seem fine.

More thoughts??

·
Registered
656 Posts
That sounds about right I changed my 09 at around 10K ish fronts will go to around 20K from the looks of it easy to change the pads and the cost isn't all that bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you KRA961. I will keep that in mind. I was thinking that I had/have a major problem.
Follow up: Does the community routinely use both the front and rear to stop?
I routinely apply the rear and follow up with the front. It is a habit I acquired when I first started riding. At the time I was told it was the thing to do_Of course that was way before the era of integrated/linked braking systems.
More thoughts?

·
Registered
656 Posts
With the brakes being linked I've never worried about front or back braking in fact its rare that I use the rear peddle at all mainly due to the placement, I used to rely on transmission for most the stopping power but as one smart fellow here mentioned pads are cheaper and easier to change then transmissions

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I changed my rear pads at 36k, they could have easily gone 72k or more.

Unless you ride your brakes a lot, I mean a whole lot, you have something wrong.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
My 07 wore the rear pads out in 26,000 miles, but the fronts are 50% worn if that. I tend to apply front and rear brakes about evenly, but I am not sure what the computer is doing via the linked brakes, It appears the linked brakes favor the rear more than I do as in the past I have worn out the front brakes at least as quickly as the rears.

10K does sound like very high wear, but it all depends on how you ride. If the brakes are dragging, you should notice a lot of heat in the rotor and caliper after a ride. Or if you spin the wheel when on hte centerstand, you should notice a lot of drag. I get a little drag and it isn't even as the wheel turns easily for part of the revolution and the drags a little more part, but the drag is fairly light and the wheel easily rotated by hand.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I changed out my bmw pads at 17000 due to squealing. They still had almost 3/4ths of the pad left. I replaced them with EBC sintered pads. I bought new EBC pads in anticipation of replacing them around 40,000 miles. I was suprised to find that the pads had 3/4ths of the original pad (front and rear) when I checked them at 43,000 miles. I guess I don't use them much.

My linked brakes apply the rear first when I apply the rear brake and apply the front first when I apply the front brake. The system only adds in the other brakes when I brake harder.

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 09 also and have been through two sets in about 30K. My front brakes are original and show barely any wear. I almost exclusively used the rear brake but am trying to change my habits to see if there is a difference. It appears to eat up the rear if I don't.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts