BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 LT has the BMW radio and communication setup. I use helmet speakers and a microphone, with a coiled connector wire to the standard plug-in.

Now that I've used this system for few years I've decided I need something better, and I'd like your advice.

I want to use earbuds, no microphone, and still plug into the BMW outlet.

So I'd like this advice:

1. What brand of earbud/speakers work best for you? I don't want helmet speakers any longer.

2. How have you connected the earbuds to the BMW outlet?

Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Mike,

I think I can help you out. First there are 2 different styles of connectors that will do what you want. Cyclegadgets has both of them. They allow you to either just use the earbuds or to use the earbuds in combination with your already installed headsets. (that way your mic is still available for cb or intercom.

The 2 adapters are shown here:

http://cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=HA

I use the y style cheaper one myself...make sure you get the 6 pin version.

As for earbuds...I have tried a few and have settled down with the ER-6. Great sound and great noise blocking quality.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6.aspx

Hope that helps you,

Ron

·
Registered
298 Posts
Mike,

I am excited to get to reply to your request as this is probably my favorite accessory that I own for my bike.
I got my buds from "Now Hear This". The technician that did the install is a Clinical Audiologist and her name is Marilyn Navia. You can contact her at 305-477-2333 or www.plugup.com . At the Lima MOA she had a booth and creates a dam that she gently tamps into your ear canal. She then injects a thick liquid silicone that sets up in about 5 minutes. This creates a perfect mold of your ear canal. One side is red and the other blue so there is no guessing. They block out all external noise and with the speakers in your ear canal they require very low volume.
I recently contacted her because I thought that I lost mine but found them the next day. She explained that she has a kit that she can send you to set up your own custom fit.
She also can provide you with an adapter to accommodate your intercom.
The cons are cost, and I'm not gonna kid you, when these things are in your ears with music playing, you can't hear squat.
I absolutely love mine!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I use Sure earbuds with my mp3 player. High quality sound & fit. Blocks most all wind noise. Actually, if you push them in tight enough all you hear is music & your other personality between songs. :)
Not cheap. @120 bucks. My sons got them for me last year for Father's day.
Makes mowing the lawn a lot more enjoyable too.

·
Registered
276 Posts
kellenbenz said:
Mike,

I think I can help you out. First there are 2 different styles of connectors that will do what you want. Cyclegadgets has both of them. They allow you to either just use the earbuds or to use the earbuds in combination with your already installed headsets. (that way your mic is still available for cb or intercom.

The 2 adapters are shown here:

http://cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=HA

I use the y style cheaper one myself...make sure you get the 6 pin version.

As for earbuds...I have tried a few and have settled down with the ER-6. Great sound and great noise blocking quality.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6.aspx

Hope that helps you,

Ron
I second the etymotic suggestion. I have a pair of these that I use on my V-Rod as well as on the LT. The V-Rod is quite a bit louder in both wind noise and exhaust note than the LT, but the etymotics effectively block out a good portion of the outside noise. I do believe that custom molded earpieces may be more effective at blocking outside noise - but the etymotic fidelity and sound quality is second to none.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have the Molded 1-Piece Earplug Speaker Adapter from cyclegadgets.com. It works very well. However, my audio coms plug is mounted on the left side of the stingray. With this adapter plugged in, the handle bars hit it when making a full left turn. I have to unplug my lower cord (when not using the adapter) to get a full lock left when fueling up. The bars touch enough to put a little strain on the plug.

As I only use earplug headset when riding solo I just plug the adapter into the pillion's audio coms socket behind me.

It is a great little gadget and I really enjoy the music or whatever more through good earphone/plugs.

You may want to choose the adapter cord rather than the plug adapter depending on where your audio plug is located.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have a brand new 6-pin Y-adapter for sale if you want. 45 shipped CONUS

PM me if interested.

F

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I don't know specifically about the BMW Intercom, but I know that several intercoms DO NOT power up unless there is a microphone in the intercom circuit. I had my mic connection come loose and I did not have any sounds in the headsets until I got the mike plugged back in. JM2CW

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think I can confirm that operation. I just order the molded adapter from Cyclegadgets for my new to me 2000 LT with BC-3 (I an SO happy to back on a K12).

Anyway it came today so I ran out and plugged it in - nothing through the ER-6's, speaker/headset switch made no difference. Talked to Shaun or Shane at Cyclegadgets and he agreed that the system didn't seem to be recognizing anything plugged into the headset jack. . I wasn't really planning on getting a headset at this point, just wanted the earplugs. Looks like I may need to pick up a set. At least I have the lower cables from the original owner.
Can anyone confirm this on the BC-3?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
If you have not tried it yet, you might plug the adapter into the passenger port to eliminate the possibility of the front connector being bad.

Also I have seen times where the headset/speaker switch on the BC3 did not work. I just worked mine many times and sprayed some wd40 around the switch and it worked. I think they get a bit corroded if not used a lot. (this happened to me on 2 different bikes)

Hope that helps,

Ron

·
Registered
42 Posts
Disclaimer: I am NOT trying to turn the thread into a debate of what government should or should not govern and whether we have too many laws or not. I am merely trying to understand what the situation is...

With this - I believe I recall the good people of MSF telling me earbuds were not legal in many states... Does someone know what the situation is, and if indeed it's not legal, has anyone ever been ticketed for that?

In addition, for those who use earbuds, in your experience, have they ever created any loss of perception or balance that could impact safety?

Thanks - again, just newbie trying to learn :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Tried the rear jack as well; no dice. I'm going to try stopping a local store that sells headsets and see if I can try it with a set. I'll also contact the previous owner tosee what he knows, thanks for your help.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Go to your old setup/cord and find the two leads for the microphone. Take a resistance measurement across those two connections. Buy a resistor with the same value from RadioShack, and solder it across the two corresponding pins on your new adapter. This will mimic the presence of a microphone and should get you sorted.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well Duh!
Found my problem. Apparently the ignition must be on for the headsets to work.

Now I have terrible ignition noise in the headphones; don't know if its the adapter or the system. Guess I'll start searching the forums for info.

Thanks everyone.

BTW: As to the legality of ear buds, you're probably correct, I think they are technically illegal. However I don't know of anyone who has been cited for that; it could happen though.
I always wear ear plugs when I ride anyway, so I don't see a great distinction between ear plugs and helmet speakers and ear plug headphones. I can hear well enough to be aware of what's going on around me.
I never noticed any degradation of balance or situational awareness.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well I found the source of my ignition noise -- it's the ER6's! I'm bummed because I really like the fidelity of those ear plugs. I tried a regular J & M headset in the system this evening at the local BMW Club meeting; it was totally quiet. It seems that the earbuds are acting like an antenna and picking up ignition noise. I guess I'll have to go back to the traditional J & M headset configuration. Maybe I'll try another pair of buds or perhaps try to shield them in some way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts