BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Ear Plugs

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  leod029 
#1 ·
Just wondering what you use for ear plugs?

I usually use foam plugs made by Sperian Hearing Protection called the Max-1, they claim a 32 Dba noise reduction. ($ 1.50 ea) I like the noise reduction capability but at times they are a little fussy when inserting them, I have learned to lubricate them with a little spit to get them inserted properly.

Recently I tried a Custom in Ear molded made by EARinc. , they claim a 30 Dba noise reduction. ($ 65.00) The noise reduction is almost as good as the Max-1's and insert without lubrication. I have found them a little on the stiff side and have not yet tried them on a multi hour ride.

#2 ·
I use a pair from Big Ear I had custom made at the Seattle Motorcycle show about 4 years ago. Bonus...they also work great 3X a week for my swimming workout. :D

#3 ·
johnbaker15 said:
Just wondering what you use for ear plugs?

I usually use foam plugs made by Sperian Hearing Protection called the Max-1, they claim a 32 Dba noise reduction. ($ 1.50 ea) I like the noise reduction capability but at times they are a little fussy when inserting them, I have learned to lubricate them with a little spit to get them inserted properly.

Recently I tried a Custom in Ear molded made by EARinc. , they claim a 30 Dba noise reduction. ($ 65.00) The noise reduction is almost as good as the Max-1's and insert without lubrication. I have found them a little on the stiff side and have not yet tried them on a multi hour ride.
Hi, John. I'm sure you know the proper way to install the foam earplugs, butt for those just beginning the ritual, here is how it works for me (as shown to me years ago by a 400,000 mile rider):

1). Roll the ear plug into a smaller diameter cylinder shape.
2). For the left ear, reach over the head with the right hand and pull the top of the ear up a little.
3). Insert the ear plug into the left ear 'til the external end is flush with the ear opening.
4). Release the righthand ear pull and continue holding pressure against the ear plug to a count of 10. You'll note (hear and feel) the slow expansion of the plug as it seals the ear canal. Done.
5). Hand procedure is reversed for the right ear.

I buy a 200 count box of Howard Leight Max 1 33dbr foam earplugs from MSC Direct - works out to less than 40 cents a pair. I usually wear a pair no more than twice/thrice.

#4 ·
Dick said:
Hi, John. I'm sure you know the proper way to install the foam earplugs, butt for those just beginning the ritual, here is how it works for me (as shown to me years ago by a 400,000 mile rider):

2). For the left ear, reach over the head with the right hand and pull the top of the ear up a little.
3). Insert the ear plug into the left ear 'til the external end is flush with the ear opening.
4). Release the righthand ear pull and continue holding pressure against the ear plug to a count of 10. You'll note (hear and feel) the slow expansion of the plug as it seals the ear canal. Done.

I buy a 200 count box of Howard Leight Max 1 33dbr foam earplugs from MSC Direct - works out to less than 40 cents a pair. I usually wear a pair no more than twice/thrice.

+1

#5 ·
Dick said:

Dick,
You are right on with step 2, it is amazing how much difference that little step makes. Even with that and rolling them tightly sometimes I have to reset them, I have small ear canals so I have to move fast to get them set correctly. I know they are in correctly when I can't hear the neighbors. ;)
Your link are the ones I am using also, although your link says by Honeywell and the package I have says by Sperian. I had selected them because the attenuation they claim is anywhere from 3 to 5 Dba higher than others I looked at, and since noise is a log scale that is quite a difference in noise level.

#7 ·
I went to the local, small town hearing aid center. They can make you a custom fit hearing protector using the same method of making a cast of your ear canal like they do for hearing aids.

The mold is made, it is sent off and in a week you will have a set of custom plugs that will never make your ears sore.

cost approx $35, or one years worth of foam plugs.

The beautiful part is, you can also wear them at night, when you are camping out on your LT, so you don't hear the snoring bear in the tent next to you! :sleep:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.