BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
121 Posts
One of my other motos, a MV Agusta Turismo Veloce Lusso, the owners manual stresses non-ethanol 91 min octane fuel only. Was a bit of a challenge at times while touring around the USA but the "Pure Gas" app was extremely beneficial. No E10 or E15 nor any ethanol laced petroleum.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I know this is not a forum for the camhead but for comparison to present day.
My 2012 RT manual does not mention or suggest alternate fuel other than a lower octane. I came across a letter from BMW that covered the earlier years when ethanol was widely used at the pump. BMW did not say it forbid the use of ethanol but did not recommend it. This was for E10. I believe E15 wasn't out yet. Maybe this letter was clarifying the owners manual at the current time. I wish I saved the letter but it was almost ten years ago.
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
121 Posts
Sorry I use 89 octane
no problem.. assume just a slight keyboard issue...

I rode my dirt bike alot at Glamis in the early 2000's.. Could find the high octane (race gas) pre-packaged up to 5 gls down near the dunes for engines that ran high compression and advanced timing. Wasn't cheap then and I'm sure now it would be in the stratosphere somewhere..

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
This sounds a lot like an oil thread.

I didn't know that the AMA could invoke legislation, i.e. "According to AMA...E15 is illegal for motorcycles...." Really? In what regard? Illegal to sell it to motorcyclists? Illegal to dispense into motorcycles? Illegal for anyone to purchase it for motorcycle usage? Hmmmm. If so, then who's the enforcement agency?

BTW, for Scott who lives in McKinney, I'm assuming you always buy premium? Because Collin County is an adjacent county to Dallas county, and practically all the stations in these two counties have some level of ethanol in their fuel. All those same lines, I did not know premium as little to no ethanol, but according to online sources, most have anywhere from 5 to 10%. The Buckee's in Denton is the only retailer I can think of who has ethanol free fuel as an option, but they are located in Denton County. For those of us who live in metropolitan areas, there's no getting around the ethanol fuel for the most part.

Of course, we'll see even more of it since sleepy Joe is allowing for E15 to be sold during the summer months for the time being. I didn't realize it ever going away during the summer, but I do know Texas drivers in smog areas have to use reformulated fuel during the summer months, which is also a joke that ain't funny.

I got a feeling ethanol's why my LT's fuel pump wiring and terminals were all ate up and corroded. 🤨

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
121 Posts
The Buckee's in Denton is the only retailer I can think of who has ethanol free fuel as an option, but they are located in Denton County. For those of us who live in metropolitan areas, there's no getting around the ethanol fuel for the most part.
You may want to get the Pure Fuel app and do a search of your precise lcoation... Seems there are many places down in the Dallas vicinity for non-ethanol.

World Organism Font Map Circle

·
Registered
28 Posts
Modern BMW motorcycles are designed to run up to E15. My 2019 R1250RT is. It's right in the owners manual. I don't think I have ever run it. I won't run in the bike unless there's no other option at the pump but the fuel system is designed to handle it. Ironically, our 2021 Mazda CX-5 is not. E10 is the max.

Sometimes the AMA is full of crap.
My 2022 RT manual sez the same thing. However, on the last fill up before arriving at home, I add a dose of fuel stabilizer so it it distributed through the fuel system on all my bikes. Ethanol is a solvent and I've seen it clog up the screen filter in a tank fuel pump. I don't seek out ethanol-free gas, but I do look for Top-Tier gasoline. YMMV 😄

·
Registered
204 Posts
This sounds a lot like an oil thread.

BTW, for Scott who lives in McKinney, I'm assuming you always buy premium? Because Collin County is an adjacent county to Dallas county, and practically all the stations in these two counties have some level of ethanol in their fuel. All those same lines, I did not know premium as little to no ethanol, but according to online sources, most have anywhere from 5 to 10%. The Buckee's in Denton is the only retailer I can think of who has ethanol free fuel as an option, but they are located in Denton County. For those of us who live in metropolitan areas, there's no getting around the ethanol fuel for the most part.

Of course, we'll see even more of it since sleepy Joe is allowing for E15 to be sold during the summer months for the time being. I didn't realize it ever going away during the summer, but I do know Texas drivers in smog areas have to use reformulated fuel during the summer months, which is also a joke that ain't funny.

I got a feeling ethanol's why my LT's fuel pump wiring and terminals were all ate up and corroded. 🤨
BTW, for Scott who lives in McKinney, I'm assuming you always buy premium?
I run mid-grade almost all the time. Why? Because the bike runs fine on it, has knock sensors, gets the same MPG as on premium and it costs less than premium. I ran a tank of ethanol free in it once and it made exactly zero different in drivability and MPG. The RT I had before was 2005 and I ran mid-grade in it as well. Again, no and issue because the bike has knock sensors. MPG with mid-grade was the same, but for the 2005, it did get better MPG on ethanol free and it ran better. I could also tell a difference in MPG between winter and summer blend gas. My 1250 could care less. It runs perfectly all the time not matter what I put in it. And I don't worry about the E10 harming anything as my old 2005 RT ran on it for years until I sold it with 130 thousand miles on the clock. Not particularly worried about the E15 (in the bike) but I'd rather gas had NO ethanol in it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Okay, 2014-2018 RT's specified E-10 (E-15 wasn't readily available -- if at all -- before 2019), then in 2019 E15 was allowed. My question -- what differences are there between the 2018 & 2019 RT's that would allow the increae to E15? Does the shiftcam 1250 have some features that are E15 resistant?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Okay, 2014-2018 RT's specified E-10 (E-15 wasn't readily available -- if at all -- before 2019), then in 2019 E15 was allowed. My question -- what differences are there between the 2018 & 2019 RT's that would allow the increae to E15? Does the shiftcam 1250 have some features that are E15 resistant?
Great question. BMW might be using different seals/hoses and there might be a slight FI programming change. I would definitely check with BMW first to avoid a potential (and expensive) mess.

·
Registered
14 Posts
E=Ethanol. E15=15% ethanol. Ethanol reduces fuel economy, so E15 is WORSE than E10 for fuel economy. E10 is often used for regular (87) octane fuel. Typically, the higher the octane rating, the less ethanol it can have in it.
What you really want is Premium fuel (91-93 octane, depending on whether you're in Canada or the US), which, to the best of my knowledge, typically has NO ethanol.
in NY all fuel has 10% ethanol unles stated otherwise. I know of 1 gas station where i live selling premium ethanol free. Every other gas station premium is 10%.

·
Registered
582 Posts
My 2015 R1200RT says in the manual to not use over E10. Maybe in years following they upped it? AMA is not FOS as they recognize that there are still millions of bikes that can not run E15 let alone the millions of cars also
My 2016 RT manual specifies max E10. My 2021 R Nine T specifies max E15.

I wonder if they changed something on the bikes themselves, or if they just tested with E15 now that it is becoming more common.

Reactions: Patric

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
Absolutely do not run E15 in your bike. Many vehicles void warranties if this is done. The bikes run poorly on E10 vs. Ethanol free. Don't do it. Don't put it in your lawn mower either or your car for that matter unless it is listed as multi-fuel vehicle.
UNLESS you have the 1250 boxer! RTFM. My manual says that the "minimum" fuel requirement is E15 AKI 87 octane, while AKI 89 octane is the preferred fuel.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts