BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting an EZPass transponder for car/bike. is the unit small/powerful enough to be in jacket pocket...or do I need to get 2 and hardmount to LT? thank you

·
Registered
247 Posts
Let me help you out. I have used the E-z Pass in my vest outer pocket and also in the map pocket of my tank bag without a problem. Some riders also have it mounted on the inside of the windscreen using a suction cup device sold for cars and motorcycles. Just a sugestion. Call your E-Z pass office and give them your plate number of your Mtcy. This way if you go through and your E-Zpass does not register they will bill you using your Plate number.

·
Registered
989 Posts
brettb10 said:
Thinking of getting an EZPass transponder for car/bike. is the unit small/powerful enough to be in jacket pocket...or do I need to get 2 and hardmount to LT? thank you
I do not know about your area - call EZ-Pass to find out: here in NY/NJ you must have a separate transponder for car and for bike. You are not supposed to use car transponder on a motorcycle - you wind up paying car rates and risk getting a violation notice (I know...).

Don't get too hung up on the transponder reading unreliably. I have EZ-Pass transponders since April 2001; as much as they work well on cars, I am experiencing maybe only 75% success rate on bikes, no matter what I try. NYS Thruway seems to be the worst.

No biggie: just make sure to always run through automated lanes (so that you do not have to get involved in discussions with the collector) - if it fails to register, you will get a "Call EZPass" display. If you get stopped, just show the tag.

After all, it is the most convenient device for a bike. No need to fish for change, while impatient drivers are pushing you from behind...

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Not that I ever would, but I've seen groups of Motorcycles ride the white stripe
between the lanes going through our EZ Tag lanes before. Does that really
avoid getting recorded?

·
Cat Herder
5,852 Posts
jbrown said:
Not that I ever would, but I've seen groups of Motorcycles ride the white stripe
between the lanes going through our EZ Tag lanes before. Does that really
avoid getting recorded?
It may help, depending on the hardware deployed in the lanes.

Now on the back side: If an officer see's you doing this they can literally throw the book at you and believe me there are some nice paragraphs that can be applied.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I use my mcy specific e-z pass in a suction cup holder affixed to the lower left side of the windscreen. It works every time. NY State/New Jersey roads and bridges.

·
Registered
577 Posts
when I picked up mine the girl behind the glass said it is important that you ride through the station to the right of center. it will give the quickest and surest reading. I have mine mounted on the left upper winglet and so far have never missed a reading.

Used it on my four corner trip and had no problems then.

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
E-Z Passes are registered by license plate and vehicle model etc. I have 3 passes and (new/renew) is easy to maintain through the internet site.

http://www.e-zpassny.com/

My motorcycle pass has an unique square black plastic piece glued to it with a large M printed on the pass.

I have it in my pocket and it triggers the sensors. I have never received a fine or ticket. I did get one going through too fast in one of my cars at 4 am. Yikes. One day I suspect to see variable pricing by time of day.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Mine did not work in my jacket pocket, so I mounted it to the left winglet, works great there.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have mine mounted on the inside of the lid of the top case on the rear of the bike. If you flip down the mirror in the lid, there is a cavity behind the mirror. Its protected from the weather, is hidden from thieves and is always there. I velcroed it there and have never had a problem with it being detected. Have used it on the New York Thruway, PA Turnpike and in Illinois around Chicago. Have always checked my account and it hasn't missed a beat.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,594 Posts
Does anyone have on of these EZ-Passes mounted on their bike? Thankfully I do not use it too often.

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
You go to the location where they are. You pay your money, set up your account. The device is programed and handed to you. You need your plate number, and you are good to go. it took 24 hr before device was activated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts