BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had the dyna beads installed today in the front tire. I can't tell any difference at all. Still have a terrible wobble between 38_42 mph
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
I too have a serious wobble on my Metzler 880 equipped front end on the 2007 LT. I need to take the front tire off and have balanced and checked in case something is out of whack, but the wobble seems to be more associated with the road surface than a specific speed. It doe make it hard to take a hand off the bike to stretch it out and relax.

The trouble is that I have been out of town a lot lately.

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,104 Posts
I would check both tires, cupping, uneven wear etc. I have dyna beads on my bike and have no issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
I have to correct myself. After further review, I have the same kind of front end wobble at about the same range - 38-44 in my case. It does not matter much if its during acceleration or deceleration, expect that it it less sever when slowing down. Less energy I suspect.

The front end Metzler 880 had 41 lb. in it when I started and I did not dicker over the 1 lb. I had 48 in the back tire. There was no visible or tactile cupping in the tire. Tread looks like its about half or more.

I ran on the newest asphalt that I could find in the area and had about the same amount of wobble whether I hit the speed range in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear.

Interesting that we both have the same sort of issue. As mine says, its an 07 and with almost 30k miles

Bill

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
I have an '01 which has never exhibited the front end wobble to date. Makes no difference accelerating, decelerating or holding a steady speed. It is wobble free hands off.

The steering geometry was changed in '05 to improve low speed stability. I wonder if this change may have contributed to the issue.

Loren
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
Sounds like a tire problem to me. Did you both experience the wobble when the tires were newly installed or did it show up later and at how many miles. Maybe some separation in the plys is happening?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an 09 and hadn't experienced any problem until approx 12,000 miles. I happened to have it in Ft. Meyers this winter and took it in for to have a new rear tire installed, one of the mechanics asked me if I had experienced the wobbling and I hadn't. Shortly after that I started to experience it. I was worried that maybe the front tire (which was worn and cupped a little) was the culprit so I had a new front tire put on. Both tires are Goodyears. The new front tire did not fix the problem. Both the Ft. Meyers dealer and the Grand Rapids (in Michigan) dealer both told me that this is a common problem and they don't know what to do about it.

It doesn't matter what kind of surface I am on. For some reason it is right in the range of 38-42 mph. If I'm going faster or slower, no problem. I could set the cruise at 55-60 and take my hands off of the bars and it is smooth.

Most of the time I simply just go faster or slower and it's not a big issue. The problem is if I'm in traffic going that speed.

The frustrating thing is that no one can seem to pin point the cause. It's such a crazy thing to have happen from such an awesome machine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
Are you sure that the Goodyear tires are weight rated for the LT???

dthogey said:
I have an 09 and hadn't experienced any problem until approx 12,000 miles. I happened to have it in Ft. Meyers this winter and took it in for to have a new rear tire installed, one of the mechanics asked me if I had experienced the wobbling and I hadn't. Shortly after that I started to experience it. I was worried that maybe the front tire (which was worn and cupped a little) was the culprit so I had a new front tire put on. Both tires are Goodyears. The new front tire did not fix the problem. Both the Ft. Meyers dealer and the Grand Rapids (in Michigan) dealer both told me that this is a common problem and they don't know what to do about it.

It doesn't matter what kind of surface I am on. For some reason it is right in the range of 38-42 mph. If I'm going faster or slower, no problem. I could set the cruise at 55-60 and take my hands off of the bars and it is smooth.

Most of the time I simply just go faster or slower and it's not a big issue. The problem is if I'm in traffic going that speed.

The frustrating thing is that no one can seem to pin point the cause. It's such a crazy thing to have happen from such an awesome machine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wa1200lt said:
Are you sure that the Goodyear tires are weight rated for the LT???




They are the Battleaxe tires recommended for the LT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
have experienced wobble on my 05 with bridgestone & metzler(?) at the same speed range. road hazard damage while tripping forced me to buy what was available in a small town in north ga. it was a pirelli diablo & it has cured the wobble. smoothest tire i've ever run on any of my bikes. problem is, i now learn it's not weight rated for the LT!!! never ride 2 up so i'm tempted to leave it on for local commuting. shows amazingly little wear for 4K+ miles.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,248 Posts
The only time a new front tire did NOT stop the infamous hands off wobble was a slightly out of round tire. I just lived with it until it wore out. Now I always check that when I balance it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Folks, I am sorry for the misinformation. My tires are the Bridgestone battle axes, not sure why I said Goodyear. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
Whew!

As an FYI, I rode the freeway home from work this morning, pointed the nose of the bike onto the exit at 60 mph and released the cruise control. Hands off from 60 mph to 20 mph no shake rattle or roll.

I really wonder if this is the steering geometry change that occured in '05.

Loren


dthogey said:
Folks, I am sorry for the misinformation. My tires are the Bridgestone battle axes, not sure why I said Goodyear. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
How old is the tyre? Its possible if the beads were introduced after uneven wear occurred the beads can't over come the current uneven wear. Daytona puts beads in every new tyre I buy there on my 2003 LT. Head shake does not return until the tyre is almost used up. I'm thinking that at some point the beads can't make up for traces of uneven wear and it becomes exagerated with use. I read somewhere that the beads don't migrate in the tyre until it reaches about 30mph. IF that is true then slow speed riding would eventually cause some uneven wear. Just a guess
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,248 Posts
wa1200lt said:
I really wonder if this is the steering geometry change that occured in '05.

Loren
Nope 'cause mine is rock solid right now. I have had three tires that is was solid with all the way to the end of the tire. But I had two tires that gave me the wobbles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,137 Posts
Nope, not dependant upon the year of manufacture Loren. I know because my '00 has had the deceleration wobble when coasting down through around 40 mph with some front tires in the past. It is not there now, but has shown itself before on mine as well as other early model LT's. 99% of the time it is the front tire, but I believe there may have even been a rear tire as the culprit once. Not sure on the last item though.

John
wa1200lt said:
Whew!

As an FYI, I rode the freeway home from work this morning, pointed the nose of the bike onto the exit at 60 mph and released the cruise control. Hands off from 60 mph to 20 mph no shake rattle or roll.

I really wonder if this is the steering geometry change that occured in '05.

Loren
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,108 Posts
One of your beads was likely stretched when the tire was mounted. That will cause the wobble. Unfortunately there is no way to confirm this that I am aware of. If you want to understand why a stretched bead will induce front end wobble think of trying to roll a cone in a straight line. Not going to happen is it? Now apply that to your newly stretched tire bead. One side now has a larger circumference than the other so the tire attempts to turn and then is corrected by the gyroscopic action of the wheel. Push, pull, repeat, and wobble. Couple that with a little harmonic pre-disposition and there you have it. I imagine there are lots of other things which can cause the issue but I know for a fact that a stretched bead was my problem because I did it myself. Old tire no wobble, stretched the new tire bead (oops) and big time wobble. They make a distinct popping sound when you stretch them, by the way............ Replaced the wobbler and changed my mounting technique. No wobble. Scientific proof? Nope. Pretty sure I'm right. Oh yea. 5000 miles on the tire now and nothing. I've even tried to get it to misbehave and it won't.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Samir said:
How old is the tyre? Its possible if the beads were introduced after uneven wear occurred the beads can't over come the current uneven wear. Daytona puts beads in every new tyre I buy there on my 2003 LT. Head shake does not return until the tyre is almost used up. I'm thinking that at some point the beads can't make up for traces of uneven wear and it becomes exagerated with use. I read somewhere that the beads don't migrate in the tyre until it reaches about 30mph. IF that is true then slow speed riding would eventually cause some uneven wear. Just a guess


The tire was put on in May and probably has almost 6000mi on it.

I had the wobble before the new tire and the new tire had no effect on the wobble.

David
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top