BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some input on the road from Durrango to Silverton, Highway 550, The Million Dollar Highway. I will be out there end of July, two-up, with gear, on my LT. I hear some people say not to do the road on a heavy touring bike. What do you CO guys say or riders that have been on the road?

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
My SO and I did just that last year on the way to CCR. It was great! Silverton has a nice old hotel(blue in color) downtown that we really enjoyed. There are gun fights in the street Thur, Fri and Sat nights. Brass band plays Sunday evenings, in the street. Gold mine tour is a nice change of pace.
Heights(steep dropoffs) scare me but I did fine as long as the SO didn't didn't say "oh yeah!".
Do it!

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Nice road, no problems at all.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
We rode the MDH last year as well going to CCR, had a blast!

No problem, enjoy the curves and scenery.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Rode it during a couple of Top Of the Rockies rallies in Durango & Paonia,. Only problem was the cramp in the waving hand because of all the other BMW's enjoying the ride.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
We rode it to CCR last year also. 2 LT's both pulling trailers mine was 2 up and the other 1 up. it was cold and raining and still had a blast.

This was at 10,640 ft above sea level

This shot was in Ouray, very neat lil town to stop and site see.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
I rode that and the loop all the way around to Cortez and back to Durango about 5 years ago on my Honda Nighthawk!

It was a little low on power above 9.000 feet :)

I'd love to go back and ride it on the LT. Enjoy the ride!

Joe

·
Registered
637 Posts
Wife and I in our middle 60s, rode it two up on our R1100RT about 6 years ago. It was a fun ride & I highly recommend it. No problems.

If it is still running, the Durango to Silverton steam powered narrow gage rail ride was also wonderful and our trip highlight. We took it round trip, but the best part was to hear a steam engine working hard (on the way up to Silverton).

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I was going to recommend the train ride also. Miss E and I did it our first trip on the beerburner. took 500 pic's on the train alone. Just enjoy the ride, and dont forget to bring a jacket. It snowed in July when we were there!

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
It's arguably one of the top motorcycling roads in the country. Might be a bit challenging for a flatlander with no mountain experience, but therein lies the fun. Yes, there are sharp curves, steep ascents and descents, and sheer drop offs, but that's the whole point of searching out and riding mountain roads. And the scenery is simply awesome.

I rode it on the LT a few years ago on the way back from a CCR. The biggest problem then was passing literally thousands of HD's that were there for the holiday weekend. I rode it again last year on my GT mid-week, and had most of the road to myself. I say again, simply awesome.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you do this ride be sure to include the stretch of road from Silverton to Ouray, not just the stretch from Durango to Silverton.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
mobikerider said:
If you do this ride be sure to include the stretch of road from Silverton to Ouray, not just the stretch from Durango to Silverton.
I agree with Mo,
You have to go the rest of the way to Ouray. The road is easy, But be well rested and drink lots of water and sports drinks to help with the altitude sickness. Above 9500 feet it gets a little bumpy and will challenge your shocks if the are stock. Awesome road! Do it for sure.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Great Road even pullin' a trailer.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
The wife and I spent a week in Durango last summer and enjoyed riding around there a lot and the train ride is a blast. The LT was in its element although we were not loaded with gear.

We rode from Durango North past Ouray, across Rt 62 then back South on 145 to make our way back to Durango to complete the loop. A fantastic ride.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Do it. Great road.
I rode it last year on the way to CCR. I was riding my R1200RT solo but loaded.

There was construction on going and I had some wait time.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
jzeiler said:
Great Road even pullin' a trailer.
That looks the one we followed to CCR last year :D :dance:

Not to bash the HD crowd, as you can tell we were behind a few HD riders that COULDN'T ride and wouldn't get out of our way, John couldn't pass due to him pulling the trailer with 350 lbs of stuff for CCR!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've also ridden that road. One can't even begin to express the incredible scenery from that road. While riding we stopped for gas. a local cop told us to enjoy the road but remember! if it says 15mph. Go 15mph... We did and had a great day! I don't know how many times I uttered WOW! under my helmet at the views....

We started off early in the morning. It was late in May when we were there and it was cold in the morning. still alot of snow on the side of the roads at the highest point. If you notice in a few of the pics there really isn't a shoulder on the road or even a guardrail.. take your time and you will love it!! I'd go back in a minute!!

My New Ride.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I have really enjoyed looking at the pics you guys took of this ride. They reminded me of several things when we rode it:
1. We stopped for the construction in the steepest part possible, down hill in the middle of the switchback just before the flagger(8/08) - Gave this flatlander a bit of the willies. Bike off in 1st gear was no big deal. Just creepy. SO just as happy as she could be.
2. We saw all the steep drop offs and then we saw a sign that read - "Steep Drop Off" - THAT got my attention because what the hell has that been for 10 miles?
3. Looking out and down to Silverton - What a sight!!
4. Red Mountain Pass - must I say anything else??
Enjoy. Enjoy!
And once again, thanks for the pics guys.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My favorite ride in CO. Durango, Silverton, Ouray,Telluride, back out to Montrose, Black Canyon of the Gunnison. The road into the Black Canyon is very steep. You may just want to look at it from the top.The rest of the roads are breathtaking. Love the Western slope!

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
My sister and brother in law live in Silverton. They ride Hwy550 often and both own Harley bikes. Weather can be an issue but if you are riding this summer you should be fine. Make sure you check out Telluride area too, awesome elevation and views, I love going there. They usually drag me out skiing with the kids or riding and camping depending on the time of year.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts