BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two remote controls that have AA battery compartment corrosion from expired batteries that leaked.

I've contacted Duracell and if the batteries have expired, they do not feel responsible.

Anyone have a proven suggestion for neutralizing the acid damage. The remotes still work, but there is still some corrosion on the springs and pressure points inside each remote.

One remote is for a Yamaha receiver and the other is for an older TV.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Dan,
This MIGHT work as I just cleaned the car battery terminals with it. A can of battery corrosion & acid detector and cleaner. It can be gotten at any auto parts store or Walmart. On a remote though, I would used it sparingly though, maybe on swab and then apply it. The instructions call for rinsing with water but again maybe a swab? It foams and changes color when it detects the corrosion. Now I'm thinking I may try the same thing on a remote.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Baking soda & cola. Mix the two together into a paste Then use an old tooth brush to clean the contacts. Once clean us a little dielectric grease to keep clean.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Try contact cleaner.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Dissasemble the remote..
Use baking soda and a little water.. Cola works too..

Just dip the contacts in a solution and let them neutralize..

If you can't dip.. Then use a Q-tip...

Dry it off.. spray a little contact cleaner or wd40 to keep the corrosion at bay...

Re-assemble...

Good Luck

John

·
Registered
560 Posts
Old school - the rubber eraser on a pencil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts