BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that there is a great debate between the Bridgestone and Metzeler tires on this site. Has anyone tried the Dunlop D205B? This is Dunlop’s tire for the LT according to their fitment guide. I am curious because I will be in the market for some new tires. I always had good luck with Dunlops in the past on other bikes.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
This tire (Dunlop D205) was used by many when the LT first appeared in '99 - the rear tire had a habit of rubbing on the swingarm, and required the addition of extra spacers when mounting the rear wheel (to move the tire further away from the swingarm).

- Bob

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
bob_menton said:
This tire (Dunlop D205) was used by many when the LT first appeared in '99 - the rear tire had a habit of rubbing on the swingarm, and required the addition of extra spacers when mounting the rear wheel (to move the tire further away from the swingarm).

- Bob
Yep -- and many a sidewall blister developed as a result of the rubbing, too. Bridgestone 020 (1st choice) or Metzeler 880 (2nd choice) for me; only reason I'd ever put a D205 on is because I was stranded in Timbuktu and the only other choice was carrying the bike out. :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Dunlop tires on the K12LT

I had a new set of Dunlops on my '99, and the handling was so foul, I almost gave up motorcycle riding. I had purchased the KLT used with a new set of those tires on the bike. I didn't have experience riding the BMW with other tires; so I assumed the handling was typical of the motorcycle not the tire.

After I sold the '99 for all the above reasons, I had a chance to ride one with Metzlers, and wow, what a difference! I now have an '05 with Metzlers, and it handles like a gem. Though I run Dunlops on my Harley, I'll NEVER buy them for my KLT!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
If you think the LT handles good with the Metzelers, you should try a set of radials! I was amazed when I went from 880s to radials, never to look back.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
My first LT had the Dunlops. Only fair handling, and the noisest tire known for the LT after it is about half worn. Howled like banshees at ANY lean angle after about 5,000 miles. I could ride near the white line on a two lane road relatively quiet, but just moving over to the right side where the road crown angle was greater produced a howl.

Michelin also has tires for the LT, but I have never heard one good word about them.

In my opinion, the only suitable tires for the LT are BT020s, 880s, or Avon front/BT020 radial rear mix. I personally will never have 880s again, but many like them. For me, the 880s lasted a little longer than the Dunlops, and the rear was almost as noisy. I never experienced the "wet slick" problems with the Dunlops that I did with the 880s though.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
It sounds crazy.

My 00 came with Dunlop.

First rear tire picked up an allen wrench before the 600 mile service.

Second one picked up a nail before I had 4,000 miles on the bike.

I ride the treads off B’Stones.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts