BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pardon my ignorance here (still a newbie), but what do people do with their alarm fobs. Do you have them connected to you keys?...or do you keep them in your pocket separately?

If I connect the alarm fob to my key with a ring, it wants to jam itself between the tank cover and the sterring assy. Not too safe..and I don't really like it scratching that are up. Without a ring on my key, I just feel like I'm gonna lose that loose key....not to mention, sometimes when I sit on the bike with the alarm fob in my pocket, the pressure will activate the alarm.

What's the solution?

I'm all ears...

Thanks, Toolman

·
Registered
47 Posts
Keys and alarm fobs

One idea
Three keys actually four.
One naked key for the ignition etc when riding. Second key attached to the alarm fob which resides in the oddments container. Third key attached to the bike. When you park the LT exchange the naked key for the alarm fob and attached key. That way the little key(naked one) stays with the bike and is locked up and under alarm. The third key is zip tied to the bike in a hidden location for that oh oh moment. Oh yes the fourth key. That is given to your SO for ease of accessing the saddle bags etc. Just one idea but it works for me and yes I know it is overkill.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I keep my alarm fob on a strap around my neck, it has a small plastic clip at the end and when I park the bike, I attach the bike key to it as well. It came free with the Datatool alarm system. Not ideal but at least I don't lose them.
This suits me until I can find a proper sized BMW key that will fit into the alarm fob.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I park the bike and keep the alarm fod under the "stingray cover". When I come back out, I unlock the stingray and push the button to disarm it. That way I do not have to carry it with me.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I keep fob with ignition key........
a small piece of velcro on the back of the fob and above and right of ignition keep it in place.
a second fob and key are in a zippered pocket of my riding jacket.....
a third key in my wallet

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
Toolman said:
If I connect the alarm fob to my key with a ring, it wants to jam itself between the tank cover and the sterring assy. Not too safe..
Definitely do not want to keep anything attached to the key while it is in the ignition. Your dealer should have shown that potential problem to you. That could really ruin your whole day. :eek:

Also, consider disarming the automatic ignition cutoff; this procedure is detailed in the owner's manual. You'll never have to use the fob to start the bike if you do.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a bunch....I knew you all would have some crafty ideas. I'll check out the HoW for even more. Never thought of looking there for such an insignificant issue. Although, getting the fob stuck between the sterring head and tank cover isn't insignificant while underway! :eek:

And yes, I have reprogrammed the alarm so it does not auto arm itself.

Thanks again, Toolman

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
Toolman said:
Thanks a bunch....I knew you all would have some crafty ideas. I'll check out the HoW for even more. Never thought of looking there for such an insignificant issue. Although, getting the fob stuck between the sterring head and tank cover isn't insignificant while underway! :eek:

And yes, I have reprogrammed the alarm so it does not auto arm itself.

Thanks again, Toolman
Not just auto-alarm, but auto-ignition cutoff. That's the part I found annoying. YMMV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts