BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm toying with selling my LT and going to a GSA. My dumb question is should I be worried about giving out my Vehicle ID # out to someone I really don't know? They say they want to do a title check. Sounds ok... just want to check with the brains behind the curtain...

thanx

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Seems a fairly common practice these days.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Every time I buy a used car (too many lately, including online) I always buy a Car-Fax or such to check history. That's partly why, on eBay, vehicle listings include the VIN.
Having said that...seems to me CarFax won't do bikes, and I haven't found a service that will do that. Anyone know of some?
In your case, if it's a local potential buyer, he may be able to get that from the local registry office.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Other then checking out the history, if they can, on your LT there's not much they can do with it.

They may need it to get an insurance quote, or fill out a loan application.

If they tried to use it on another vehicle you can't be held accountable for them using it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
So how does one go about checking history from the VIN. The selling dealer is not coming through for me on what work has been performed.

M

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
mr1150gs said:
So how does one go about checking history from the VIN. The selling dealer is not coming through for me on what work has been performed.

M
Any work done at a dealership should be traceable by the VIN at any good BMW dealership. Any work done by private individuals or previous owner(s) will be almost impossible to track without their records.

Roy

·
Registered
86 Posts
Pretty common practice for ordering Car Fax or other ownership searches. It's never been an issue for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts