BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a really dumb question that I have to ask because I have been trying to figure it out for awhile. Why is it "BMW Motorrad" and not "Motors" or "Motorcycles"? Is Motorrad German for motorcars or cycles?

Please be gentle with my ignorance :p I'm sure I will have one of those "Doh!" moments when I hear the answer! :D

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Motorrad = Motorcycle, so BMW Motorrad = BMW Motorcycle

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Not to shplit herrs but it's technically "motorbike."

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I checked 3 online translators - babelfish, worldlingo, and freetranslation and they all said motorcycle - oh well....thanks for clarifying!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Tallyho said:
Not to shplit herrs but it's technically "motorbike."
I like this stuff - join in if'n ya wanna - got me my 'herr' splitter here...

In English we have the two words: 'cycle' and 'bike'

However, German has the one, namely 'rad' as in Fahrrad or Motorrad (right? am I forgettings something again?)

I don't think you can use 'rad' by itself like English's 'Bike'. Well, maybe in Umgangssprache (converted to English) or slang.

Since in English we use the two words 'cycle' and 'bike' almost - but not exactly - interchangably, it's appropriate to say 'motorad = motorcycle or motorbike', depending on context, inflection and audience. In English, 'Motorcycle' could imply a more 'technical' or 'mature' tone, whereas 'Motorbike' might be more youthful, not as developed or less serious, maybe even more adventerous. Really depends on the audience.

It then becomes an interpritive choice of the translater to choose what best fits the tone, situation and his understanding of the German intent.

Conversely, translating this from English to German - as is often the case when translating - the subtle implications of 'bike' vs 'cycle' may well be lost (if, in that particular case, they existed at all) by using the one term 'rad'. It may be recovered by context or other method. That'll be dictated by what's being translated and who it's being translated for.

OK, back to making this PHP app run....

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
Thanks

I've been meaning to ask the same thing, just never got "a round tuit". :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Far rad man.

Do Jackalopes come from Texas or Mexico?

Bob

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since I have the clarification I can look into this sticker for the trunk of my LT. Didnt want to put it on there and have someone ask me what "Motorrad" was and not be able to answer :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts