BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wave Okay, after reading some of my other new owners questions, you will probably agree that I am dumb as a stump.
Here's the latest. I have everything from the panniers forward stripped to do a full maintenance and have found the remote antenna for the Garmin, I've just this minute figured out how to remove the short antenna on the unit so that I can plug in the lead when it is on the bike. The actual antenna itself is just hanging by the wire as the velcro that was holding it somewhere has fallen off. Where is the best place to mount this antenna? Will this help speed up the unit at all? It seems to take forever for it to acquire a signal. There are a numbere of feet of wire bundled up and tie strapped to the front frame.
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Mount the antenna up under the front fairing (if I am calling it by the correct name), just below the windshield. Make sure the antenna is facing up, it should pick up fine through the plastic fairing.

Your problem with slow acquisition could be that the antenna fell down as you describe. The other problem can be a bad memory battery in the Garmin and the unit has to go through the entire search process everytime you turn it on.

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bill, I think I've found a spot that I can remount it. When you say the memory batteries, is the memory retained by the power from the 6 "AA" batteries in the unit , or is it an internal battery?
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I do not know what model Garmin you have. However, most GPS receivers have an internal (usually lithium) battery to maintain position data. It is separate from the 6 AA batteries. They do go bad after a period of time and it is best to send the unit to Garmin for replacement of the battery. Some units have an alarm that indicates a low or bad memory battery, some do not. You could search the tech data on your model at Garmin's web site.

Having said all that, position the antenna and turn on the unit. See how fast it acquires. Once it acquires and you have your position, switch it off for a few minutes and then switch it on again, if it pops right up with your position, you are good to go. If it takes 5 min. or more to acquire again, you need a new memory battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts