Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thanks a lot for the article Jer.

This brings back a lot of memories.

Every since I was first in Duluth as a kid, I remember combing the beaches for beautiful pieces of beach glass (pieces of broken colored glass tumbled by water and sand into translucent pebbles) while trying to avoid the absolutely freezing waves of water.

Speaking of fish, you really can't say you've been to Minnesota's North Shore if you don't stop at Russ Kendall's and have a bit of smoked fish. It's right on North Shore Drive, between Duluth and Two Harbors. Barry Allison eats the gross little bait fish, but they have really yummy smoked salmon and trout instead!

Man - I'm getting so excited! Are we there yet??

jers99lt said:
I saw this article in the Chicago Tribune and thought I'd start a thread on what's of interest in the area (other than riding). I think I'll be on an all lake fish diet during this trip!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/vs-travel-duluth-minnesota-park-point-20120725,0,2261731.story

Have fun,
Jer

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,603 Posts
HarleyBrad08 said:
Speaking of fish, you really can't say you've been to Minnesota's North Shore if you don't stop at Russ Kendall's and have a bit of smoked fish. It's right on North Shore Drive, between Duluth and Two Harbors. Barry Allison eats the gross little bait fish, but they have really yummy smoked salmon and trout instead!

Man - I'm getting so excited! Are we there yet??
CLICKITY CLICK.

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Smoked Cisco. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
If you're looking for places to eat, don't forget Betty's Pies in Two Harbors - just up the coast a bit from Duluth. A few years ago Lisa and I went there, on John Bowles' recommendation. Nice place, nice people, good food, but honestly? My wife bakes better pies than any other I've ever tried. She learned the old-fashioned way from her grandmother, a school cook.

Still, Betty's Pies are made from scratch (I think) and we had a very nice meal there. Check it out.

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
fwkraft said:
A little farther up the coast in Grand Maris the Angry Trout sits right on the water and the whitefish or salmon are always good. Our trip is planned around good great lakes fish!

See my avatar for good eats at the Angry Trout. That's where this photo was taken in 2005. :)

Hope you guys had fun.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Managed to start with Betty's Pies and end with Kendall's smoke salmon. Both absolutley out of this world but the young Mr. Kendall did not respond kindly when I asked for hot sauce. Rather dryly mentioned that they don't often get call for hot sauce with a raised eyebrow. Did bring me some horseradish though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts