BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm made it back to my family's home early this afternoon and enjoyed a bit of a nap before unpacking. Ride was great with very little traffic since we were headed south.

Hope y'all had a safe and fun week. I can't believe it's over already.

Real highlights for me were:

the train depot reception - I'm still so amazed and impressed with that place, and grateful for the incredible discount we received.

the pirates taking over the cruise Wednesday turned out way better than I ever expected

seeing all the generous donations, including the huge volume from Rider Magazine was almost overwhelming

the look on Stephanie's face when we handed over a check for $30,000

revealing our 2013 plans for Bend Oregon

get to know so many great people on a personal level

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
What a great CCR! Thanks to Brad, the Bored, and everyone who worked hard to pull it off!

I drove straight through and made it home at 3:30 this morning. As far as being able to do the miles and time, I still got it. Had I been on the LT, would have been a different story.

As I expected, it was great seeing old friends and making new ones. I'm so glad I didn't cancel the trip due to riding pain and having to take a car. As I already knew, the bike brought us together, but the people keep us together! I'm looking forward to the trip to Bend and have already started scheming, uh, planning as to how to pull that one off. Sounds like a couple IBA rides might be possible on that trip! :D

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Looks like with Lee, we drove the cage and got back into the house about 6 EST this morning. Hit tons of rain in Illinois and Indiana lat night and Kentucky this morning. :mad:

We would NOT have ridden in that mess if we would have been two-up on our scoot!

Hydroplaned a few times and should have gotten a room but figured we only had 6 more hours to go and we kept on trucking. I can say one thing, going through Nashville this morning around 4 EST, there were a LOT of people out!

We had a great time at CCR and thank you Brad for making it happen! :D

·
Registered
409 Posts
John and I made it home this morning. We would have been home yesterday evening, but the108 degree weather made us seek shelter in a Super 8 in El Reno, OK. As usual, we had a great time. Loved seeing people we don't see but once a year. My favorite moment was seeing the look on Stephanie's face when Brad told her the amount and prayed that she wouldn't pass out! It was touch and go there for a few seconds!

Looking forward to Bend OR already and counting the days!

·
King of the Castle
184 Posts
Stacy and I made it back to Arkansas today after two 600 mile days. The worst part was 100 degree weather back at home and the best was the time we spent in MI (the Tunnel Of trees was great) and in Rossport Ontario. We had a great time and look forward to Bend next year. We did right at 3500 miles.

Bruce

·
Registered
53 Posts
Had an awesome time at my first CCR. It was worth the drive from Ontario. Nice to see the Canadian contingent was out in full force. Nice people, nice venue, great riding and a great charity. I know it's not easy to pull something like this off, but the team did a fantastic job in making this CCR event a memorable experience. Hats off to everyone involved!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mary and I made it home about 5 minutes after we left the Radisson. It might have been 6, we may have hit a red light. We cant thank you enough for making us feel welcome as part of the 'crew'. I must say i've been letting my friends know what an amazing that job was done in raising money for a local charity. It's exciting to be a part of of such an amazing group. I do however look forward to driving more than 4.2 miles next year. I know Mr Bill, Mary and myself and going to do our best to be at Bend next year. We're already looking at routes and time off.

Thank you all. It was a pleasure having you in my home town. You're always welcome.

Edd

p.s. we did feel bad about the short drive and all the longer drives you guys had. So, we put 1300 miles on in southern Wisconsin over the weekend. :bike:

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Glad everybody has made it home safely. Jan and I are one day away from home. Spending tonight in Paonia, CO at the historic Bross Hotel. Coming across the Dakotas, Nebraska and Colorado we have so far managed to miss rain and hot temps. Tomorrow might be different crossing the Navajo Nation.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Great job Brad and all the others who really do all the hard work, all we attendees have to do is "GIVE" and boy did you givers do an amazing job !

I left Duluth Sat. headed home west via Devils Tower, Wyo. then south to top of Mt Evans, CO. (14,168ft) and next to top of Pikes Peak, CO. (14,108ft) before turning west to Salt Lake and back in Sacramento for HDDC Wednesday dinner.
Traveled 2700 miles getting to Duluth via Glacier NP in 6 days but covered 2760 miles miles going home in 5 days including two mountian summits.

See you all next year in Bend, that's only 9 hours away.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Glad to hear all the good and safe stories. We're still on the road with only a minor incident to report--a weld on my Unigo hitch gave out, so one connecting point is now being held together with a dozen cable ties (I knew I brought those for a reason). They held all day today, so I think we'll make it back to Utah without making serious repairs (i.e., have it welded).

From Duluth we headed to the UP of Michigan, spent two nights up there and then headed to see family in the Detroit Area. Left there Tuesday morning and we are now (Thursday night) in Elk Horn, IA. Two more nights on the road will get us home on Sunday.

Thanks to all for putting on yet another great CCR. See you all next year...

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Brad, you did a great job as chairman. I think every past chairman would agree that as a learning experience, it's closer to the School of Hard Knocks than anything else! I think you took all of the suggestions, criticisms, and complaints in stride, and really stepped up to the plate for CCR. Few of the chairmen survive the experience, so for you to volunteer to take it again next year is pretty amazing! :) We will be around to help any way we can for CCR 2013, and look forward to seeing all of our family again in 353 days and a wake up!
:dance:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Here's a follow up on my Unigo Hitch problem--the cable ties worked!!!! We just made it home and the cable ties held for, what, three days now? Amazing.

So, all is well, and it's REALLY good to be home. See all you guys next year (I hope).

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Seeing this trip was the first "long" distance 2 up trip, I learned quite a few things. first and foremost, it is possible to OVER PACK the LT...

Second... It will get tiresome traveling 2,000 plus miles...

Third... It helps immensely to have an understanding, wonderful woman who has your back...

Fourth...Take the time to see the sights...

Fifth... Regardless of what the weather man says... Bring your gear!

Sixth... You will be distracted...

Seventh.. Just don't get TOO distracted... Or the Iowa Troopers will want to have a word...

Eight... DO NOT GET DISTRACTED... PAY ATTENTION... :cool:

Last but not least, If a friend asks you to ride with him during his (second) attempt of a BBG1500 after riding 9 days already.... SAY NO! :rotf:

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.