BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son dropped our '07 Ducati 999s on Wednesday. His speed was about 45-50 mph. He was wearing full racing leathers, Sidi boots, Shark helmet and gloves. In a testament to ATGATT he was entirely unharmed except for a small scrape on one arm. We got the damage estimate yesterday at $8,900 and change. :( Plus he'll need new leathers since the dead cow he was wearing did its job. Anyone know a good independent Ducati shop in Colorado that might save us a few bucks on the repairs?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Moot said:
My son dropped our '07 Ducati 999s on Wednesday. His speed was about 45-50 mph. He was wearing full racing leathers, Sidi boots, Shark helmet and gloves. In a testament to ATGATT he was entirely unharmed except for a small scrape on one arm. We got the damage estimate yesterday at $8,900 and change. :( Plus he'll need new leathers since the dead cow he was wearing did its job. Anyone know a good independent Ducati shop in Colorado that might save us a few bucks on the repairs?
Glad your son is OK.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Glad you kid is OK!
Won't your insurance cover the bike damage and the gear?

·
Registered
624 Posts
seems to me the bike would be totalled if that is the repair amount. Know what the blue book is on your used Ducati ?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Don't even think twice about the bike...

Just run out and get the 848...
You won't be happier. Rides better, handles better, looks better.
I am glad no one got hurt.

I have had this bike for five months and 7K miles.
This by far is the best Ducati that I have owned, if not the best bike that I have ever owned.

·
Registered
302 Posts
It is likely most of the damage is centered on cracked fairing pieces. I'd buy replacement panels on e-Bay, saving a small fortune.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input. The bike is not near totaled at this repair cost. It is the 999s Parts Unlimited Eric Bostrom model and is still worth between $17,000 and $18,000. The plastics on the left side are trashed as well as some other parts but there are no plastics with the special graphics on e-bay. They will have to be special ordered. Mike, I'm interested in why you think I would like the 848 better. I've not ridden one so really have no idea. Have you ridden a 999s so you can compare for me? I agree your picture looks hot although I'm not so sure I think it is more attractive than the 999s. Remember this is a special purpose bike and the BMW still gets all the distance riding.

·
Registered
794 Posts
The 1098 and 848 have much better ergos than any previous superbike.
I regularly spend 6-8 hours riding mine through the mountains.
Ducati totally lost my interest when they brought out the 749/999 series.
I am one of the millions of Duc fans that love the looks of the 916 looks with the single sided swing arm and one offset head light.
When they changed those features, I no longer thought their product was sexy.

As for riding, I have never ridden the 999. I do have friends who have them and even have two with the '06 Xerox.
My last Duc was the 996M which I felt was the closest thing to a torture rack that you could ride.
One hour tops is all I could ride without a break.

Here is a great write up and video on the 848: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ducati/2008-ducati-848-road-test-71220.html

As for touring bikes, the LT has yet to impress me.
I bought the LT for some of the features, I don't tour, I sporttour and sometimes the wife won't ride her own bike.
I like the fact that the LT can haul two up at speed.
I like the heated grips, the heated seats, the radio and the cruise control.
I like the ABS. BMW definately can build brakes.
I hate the LTs handling in corners, high speed and low speed. I can not stand the lack of ground clearance.
I hate the LT at stop signs, red lights and parking lots.
I hate the LT for long rides... I find it very uncomfortable.
I hate servicing the LT. It is much to cumbersome and time consuming compared to almost all other bikes.

As of right now the LT has limited time left in my ownership...
Seriously, interested in the Concourse 14.
I guess BMW is NOT the right fit for me.
I have ridden a friends 1200RT a lot. And it doesn't impress me either.
I own a VFR800, and feel that the Honda is far superior.

I have also learned that BMW riders are not much different from Harley riders.
Their riding habits are sometimes a little different but the prejudice is almost the same.
There are many great bikes on the market... Brand alone should not be the only reason to buy.
Besides BMW customer service is terrible, parts and service prices are much to high.

I should have sent this in a PM, but I am a glutten for the punishment that the die-hard BMW riders are going to flame me with. :histerica

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
You're right Mike, the LT is not the right bike for you...

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Moot, Glad to hear that your boy is OK. Why isn't insurance paying for the repairs? If so, why are you trying to cut corners? Unless, of course, they cut you a check and now you're trying to get the most bang for the buck ... that's understandable. I think eBay is a great place to start...

MikeE . . . I need to meet you man. Maybe we wuz separated at birth? ;) :D

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again for all the input. As for who will pick up the repair tab -- Insurance is an issue when you are racing!

Mike, thanks for the input on the 848. Looks sweet. I may give it a try. As for stirring the pot, I don't think anyone on this site thinks the LT, GT, RT, etc is the perfect bike. If I thought that, I would not have 5 bikes, all different makes and all best suited for different uses. I tend to love the one I'm on at any given time the most. I love the Duc, I love the 4 stroke Yamaha in the dirt, etc. But, for the recent tour of well over 5,000 miles through the western US and Canada it had to be the Beemer. Although I do hear great things about the Kaw Concourse. Point is, no one disagrees with you about some of your LT points. No one on an LT who was sane would challenge either of us in the twisties on our Ducs. At the same time, I'd be in a wheelchair if I'd tried to ride the Duc on this tour. So what's to get offended about? It's almost like asking why I ride a snowmobile instead of a BMW in the winter. That's what its meant for.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Moot said:
Hi, Moot. Contact Beemers and More in Fort Collins at 970/221/1014. The absolute best independent BMW Ducati and Aprillia shop in Colorado. Please tell them I sent you.

Fractured Karl

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Karl. Ive heard pretty much all good things about Beemers and More but did not know they worked on Ducati. I'll definately contact them.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi Moot,

I own an 07 1098. So I assume your 999s is an 06? I have ridden my buddies 999s, great bike. If you want big bore torque, stay with the 999 or 1098. The 848 is great too, but less torque/cost than the 1098. And the 848 doesnt have the dry clutch, which for some it's just a Ducati thing that sounds cool. I am actually going to buy a 999s down the road and just use it for the track, as I like how stable the chassis is compared to my 1098. Don't get me wrong, the 1098 handles sweet, but I like the different feel of the 999 and the looks have started to grow on me.
Sorry to hear your son crashed, sounds like he is ok.
Either way, get that bike back up and running!

·
Old Dawg
3,295 Posts
You should come check out my site for lot's of Ducati help and advice...
www.ducati.ms ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts