BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on a trip in BC and tried to drive into a parking space that slanted down from left to right and I had to approach and turn right into it. I fell to the right and I had to run away from the bike. I thought it was going to roll right over. It didn't roll over but it did, however, scrape the chrome strip in the rear right trunk.
The local dealer here in Ottawa, ON wants $200 for the strip which I paid. I have since noticed that I also have a bad scrape on the other one too. Does anyone know of a mail order source for this part in the US? I think I saw someone say they replaced theirs for $75.
Tnx
Wayne

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think Chicago BMW will do it but I am sure someone will chime in.

But like most guys will tell you, don't replace them right away. The guess is the big girl will be over again and then you will be sick because you just replaced them.

This is how it works. You tip the bike over. The bike rides around for years with this scrape. You then change them out and treat the big girl to a little TLC and guess what? The bike tips over again because she likes to driven and have a look like she is not a garage queen.

So leave the scraped bumpers and use that money on things like a new screen or seat or take the wife out for dinner.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Well put Tom.
This machine is a workhorse, if she's got a few cuts and brusies let it me, it's jsut personality :) (and a few hundred dollars of resalve value)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Tom1200 said:
...This is how it works. ... The bike rides around for years with this scrape. You then change them out and treat the big girl to a little TLC and guess what? ...
No, no, this is how it works: The bike rides around for years with this scrape. Then the time comes to sell it. You spend the money to fix the little issues that you lived with - and get pissed because you do that for someone else.

Oh, well. On that thought, I think I may go wash the LT tomorrow, she deserves it at least twice a year, whether she needs it or not...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies
I checked the chicago site and the part is $141US
After conversion to CAD, shipping and tax, I guess I'm no better off.
The local $200 price I quoted included tax etc..
Wayne

·
Registered
809 Posts
Rite of passage; scars of war; humility marks.

You can't see them while you ride.

·
Registered
415 Posts
http://www.motogear4you.com/

Wayne, take a look at the link for rubber trim protectors, They stick to the originals and prevent further damage and look pretty good also, will take drops with relatively little scraping and can be sanded smooth if you take a nick out of one, $40 US

Ron

·
Registered
910 Posts
Yes sirs, right of passage and the limit to your cornering abilities.... :D

Hey Ive got em....LMAO

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yup..., the same thing happened to me Sunday.

I just got my bike two weeks ago and have been riding it around the near by country. I came back to the house and was riding in tight circles in the cul-de-sac to get a feel of the personality. I turned onto my drive and took my left hand off the grip to push the gate opener. The bike had slowed to a crawl when she just tipped over to the right. It was like the Titanic. She just tilted and she was GONE. I had the J-Pegs out which stopped it short of laying on the bags but bent the J-Peg a bit.

From reading and hearing the wows of our bikes I new they were like a canoe. A matter of time before it tipped and I got dumped. Well atleast now we can say "BEEN THERE, DONE THAT" LOL

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ill second the rubber trim protectors dropped mine about a month ago on gravel hardly a mark to be seen well worth the money.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I bought ONE the first time I dropped it, then added the rubber strips.

Check 'em out - just ignore those pesky trees - I know, they ruin the picture. :D :D :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
You can also but some chrome wheel well moulding and stick it to the lower edge of the chrome plastic pieces, then if the bike dropps, you can replace the chrome strip easily.
The moulding is available at most auto parts supply stores. If I remember correctly it is called prostripe #85-2005 and a 20' roll will cost about $20.00. I put it on the tip over wings and around the mirror edge too. It looks good and will save me $200.00 replacement cost. I had taken pictures and they are on an earlier post on the same topic.
Cheers,
Jim. :dance: :dance:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Wow...those suckers have nearly doubled since I replaced mine...sorry. They aren't fun removing either! Ditto on the rubber moldings...they're great and I think they enhance the look of the machine itself.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Another option is to cover it with about 4 cents worth of electrical tape. Seriously...you trim the ends nicely (to whatever shape you like...point, rounded, etc), and apply. Use the good electrical tape too...not the cheap stuff. Clean the surface well before applying and you'll be amazed at how long it will last (rain or shine). If/when needed, simply re-apply. If you don't like it....remove and head to the store for the more expensive options.

·
Registered
495 Posts
My 99 now has a scraped chrome piece on the right saddle bag from standing the bike on the center stand and the stand broke in half at the weld.

A new stand is almost $300.00 and then you have to either have it installed or have the right equiplment to keep the bike upright so you can change it yourself. All in all it is expensive to replace

I chose to reweld it. It was alot cheaper LOL

Later All

PS - I cant see the scratchs from the front seat. Note that my Jpeg did break and I had to replace the right side bolts and spindle.

Steve A

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
itspossible said:
http://www.motogear4you.com/

Wayne, take a look at the link for rubber trim protectors, They stick to the originals and prevent further damage and look pretty good also, will take drops with relatively little scraping and can be sanded smooth if you take a nick out of one, $40 US

Ron
This is the way to go and actually look like what BMW should have provided stock.
http://motogear4you.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=21&osCsid=dfec76fb4f57dba184ad98f9deee0e56

1 - 17 of 17 Posts