BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was hoping to never be a member of this club, but sign me up boys! The wife and I pulled into Wendy's last night (parking lot has a slight incline). Put the side stand down, got off the bike and was walking around to put my helmet in the top case. Rolled forward just a bit and down she went! What really scared me was that my wife (God love her) was trying to catch it :eek: And now she has a HUGE bruise on her leg to prove it. She told me after she was not trying to catch it just stop it from rolling forward...Only damage was broken antenna and my pride. Learned a valuable lesson.....PUT IT IN GEAR when parking! BYW thanks to all on this site. Had I not downloaded a video showing how to pick the beast up, I would have been in a world of hurt....Technique worked great and up she came!!!!!

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Sorry to hear you went over to the dark side. :(
I've got in the habit of turnng the bike motor off by putting down the kickstand while in gear. Then I push the bike foward, then look the kicksand down as I settle the bike on it. Caught it once and saw the kickstand was not all the way down. Once I caught it pushing through the ground, as I saw the ground give. I moved the bike up to a better spot. Still being super careful not to join the other side. :D

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Welcome aboard!! You are in very good company in the DROPPERS CLUB. It's not a matter if but when you will join the ranks ! :D So becareful not to join the MULTi DROPPERS :eek:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Me too

I also joined the club this summer!!! Dropped it doing a U turn in Winnepeg, Manitoba at slow speed (ie TOO SLOW!!!) during a trip with my son from Ontario to Alberta. No real damage to me or the bike. I had read all about how to just let it go and keep out of the way. I had also watched the video on how to get it back up - real simple when you know how.
I had really thought I was careful enough to not drop it - but now I'm more knowledgeable on the limits.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
makinne said:
Learned a valuable lesson.....PUT IT IN GEAR when parking!
I imagine putting ole Toad in first gear when I park is becuz of the habit of not leaving my two manual-shift cages in neutral. (Doesn't mean I'm not a member of the club tho!!! :rolleyes: ).

And not to totally hi-jack the thread, butt..... wonder if the FJR AE has a *P* for park indicator?!?!

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Welcome to the Club!

Mark, you're in good company. I dropped mine twice when no one was on it (both times it was on the center stand and rolled forward because it was parked on the slightest downhill grade; that's all it takes).

Hope your wife's booboo heals quickly, and tell her never, ever try to stop it -- just let it fall. It's not worth a wrenched back, or worse.

When you use the side stand you should roll it forward until you feel engine compression (apologies to all the hyper-technical guys out there if that is the wrong term). This acts as a brake, to keep it from rolling forward.

(signed)
DA #7354

·
Registered
98 Posts
First time whilst riding

Have had the bike fall 3 times when not paying attention where I was stopping (have to take particular care when you are only 5'4" tall). Those slopes and potholes have a lot to answer for.

Have just moved to Tasmania and was taking the bike for its first service to BMW at Hobart. Was going around a roundabout and the font wheel went out after hitting some oil. It was the most gently come-off I have ever had. I was only doing about 25-30kms/hr and the bike slid for approx. 30 metres. Only damage was to the lower fairing and wings. Chamfered half of the metal off the RH wing support.

It is amazing how much protection is afforded the LT by the wings. My previous BMW's would have had massive fairing damage.

Cheers

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hail Hail the Brave Wife Club

My wife whew...what a brave soul.

I had just spent 1800.00 getting my RT Custom painted, and then I had ridden to St. Pete/Tampa to visit a friend. Being gone for a week and her being 8mos pregnant...when I got home she rushed out to see me. I was getting off the RT, and I was standing there taking off my gear and it was on the side stand. Well, the brick I had it on, tipped upwards and my wife was on the "safe" side of the fall. Well, I was about 2steps to far to grab it, my wife was right next to it and attempted to hang on to it....it fell and she stepped into the fall with it, and just as she did, her right shin came into FULL contact with the Catalytic Converter...whom I must say after getting off a SS1K....was RATHER warm....needless to say, she left about a 5" circle of skin stuck to the converter....rushed her to the hospital and being she was 8mos prego, they couldn't administer anything....REAL good in the pain medicine.

So, to this day...with the nasty scar she has...she always says that is HER proof that she loves me.

Let the bikes go.... do NOT try and stop them....... I would spend 15K RIGHT NOW to go back in time and get her out of the way.

Damage to the bike was minimal, about 100.00 to replace valvecover guard and had to take the bike in for one small touch up which they did on warranty.

Am glad you and the Mrs. are ok and the damage was minimal. I have dropped mine once in the garage...and almost at the top of Skyline drive...I was holding and holding and holding...I was still on the bike...and I asked the assistance of a bystander who helped me right her. I know that goes against me telling you to let it go...but I was still on the bike, and was able to hold it till he came over... had I been off the bike< I would have backed away and yelled "timber"

May that be your last drop.

·
Registered
178 Posts
pieceofficer said:
So, to this day...with the nasty scar she has...she always says that is HER proof that she loves me.
Wow :eek:
Sorry for the wife but it's a good thing she takes it with humor after all :)
Frightening story anyway...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Over she goes.

Congratulations Makinne.

Welcome to that not-so-exclusive club. Very happy to hear your wife wasn't seriously hurt. Tell her to never get in the way of a falling LT. That's a great way to sustain some terrible injuries.
Yes, that technique for lifting these behemoths is a ripper hey! Did your black side bumpers reduce the damage somewhat, or does yours have those silly chrome bits on the side you see around on some LT's?

Once again, welcome, and try not to join the "repeaters" club.

Kindest regards
Paul Harrington
Australia
[email protected]

·
Registered
263 Posts
As others have said: Welcome.

I joined the club at Americade this year. Dropped my LT exiting a parking spot, where I needed to take a hard left turn, on an uphill grade, at about 2 MPH.

The good news? Within 15 seconds there were a dozen bikers there to help me right the Beast, and not one person made me feel bad for doing it. In fact, they were quick to offer stories about the last time they had dropped their bike.

No harm, no foul.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
harrowbmw said:
Congratulations Makinne.

Welcome to that not-so-exclusive club. Very happy to hear your wife wasn't seriously hurt. Tell her to never get in the way of a falling LT. That's a great way to sustain some terrible injuries.
Yes, that technique for lifting these behemoths is a ripper hey! Did your black side bumpers reduce the damage somewhat, or does yours have those silly chrome bits on the side you see around on some LT's?

Once again, welcome, and try not to join the "repeaters" club.

Kindest regards
Paul Harrington
Australia
[email protected]
Black bumpers worked as designed a very small scape on one but you really can not tell. I have to hand it to BMW for designing the bike the way they did. Thanks for all the find words regarding the wife. She is laughing about it now:)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
reklabunde said:
What video are you referring to? It might be something I should see before I drop my bike!
Not sure where it is at but if you do a search on the forum you will probably find it. If not let me know I have a copy at home and I would be glad to e-mail it to you.

·
Registered
167 Posts
MOA Rally Tipover

Had the pleasure of helping a couple camped across from us right a fallen LT up at the MOA Rally yesterday morning as we were all getting ready to leave as the rain continued to fall in the dirt-to-muddy field. He claimed he thought the side stand was down. We had a laugh together as we parted when I said, “Don’t leave yet, because you might have to help me right mine when I go over!”

Welcome aboard! I joined the club in 05’ on another VT ride! :)

·
Registered
860 Posts
Mark;

Glad to hear that your SO is OK... and laughing about the whole experience... ;-) I always say "damage to pride is OK, just so long as there is no damage to you!"

In cruising these threads, there was mention of low speed mishaps. "Slight turn of the front wheel and grabbing the brake... down she goes..." I just get my new '06', not even 80 miles on it and do exactely what the chior had been preaching. While it did not go all the way down, it told me in no uncertain terms that one day it will. Having dropped other bikes for a total of 6 times, number 7 may be just around the corner.

The big question is; "It's a natural reaction to try and keep an upset from happening... how do you condition yourself to not jump in to keep the beast on it's feet?"

Glad alls well...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Video

Dick,
I was unable to get this video to open. May just be the firewall at the office...was wondering if anyone else was able to get that link to open.

Bill

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
pieceofficer said:
Dick,
I was unable to get this video to open. May just be the firewall at the office...was wondering if anyone else was able to get that link to open.

Bill
Bill - you're right. It no longer opens for me either. Maybe John moved it or it's somewhere else on the list archives. I'll do some more checking to see if I have it on my PC. Stay tuned.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts