BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
WILL NOTHING KEEP THIS INFERNAL MOTORCYCLE UPRIGHT ?!?!?!?!

I picked up my new-to-me 1999 Canyon Red K1200LT, after flying up from Houston. Due to the weather, I had to take 101 south, and didn't even make it to the Oregon state line before a slow speed turn went horribly wrong. Luckily, it hit the dirt, so not too much damage.

Drop 2 was at the first gas stop, while trying to get the bike up on the centerstand, so I could fill it all the way up.

Drop 3 was getting it off the centerstand at the same pump. Apparently it helps to be on the bike when getting it off the centerstand.

Drop 4 wasn't my fault. A lady backed into it in the parking lot while I was eating lunch. She claims I shouldnt' have parked there, but she's the one that hit a stationary object.

Drop 5 was when I pulled over to pee, and the shoulder was sloped more than the kickstand lean-over angle, falling to the high side.

Drop 6 Wind (or something) blew it over in New Mexico, and apparently it laid there sideways all night outside the hotel. I had to put 4 quarts of oil into the engine to get the sightglass full, but I was careful and followed the owners manual, making sure to fill it on the sidestand.

Drop 7 I got pulled over for mooning a schoolbus full of cheerleaders, and forgot to put the kickstand down when I got off to fully express myself to the state trooper.

Drop 8 Dropped it again at a gas pump. I got so pissed off, I almost put diesel fuel into the tank (oops).

Drop 9 Pulling into my driveway, the front tire kicked out on the bump, dropped it in front of all my neighbors.

So what am I doing wrong?? Why won't this infernal machine stay upright?? Maybe I should have gotten a smaller bike to learn on, but I really wanted a big bike so I'm safer in an accident. Any pointers???

Now, if I can only keep it upright.........

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I cannot determine if you were joking or not. Did you REALLY drop it?

One glaring statement: "Drop 2 was at the first gas stop, while trying to get the bike up on the centerstand, so I could fill it all the way up."

No matter whether you did drop it or not, but the statement is wrong. You get more in the tank on the side stand than on the center stand.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
So... Robert, how many times did you REALLY drop it???
By the way you need to put the bike on the side stand to fill her up, not the center stand.
When using the side stand make sure it is fully deployed! You may also want to put the bike in 1st gear to keep it from rolling forward and watch it drop.
Better be on the bike to take her off the center stand until you are comfortable with the beast (it took me several months to be 100% comfy with the bike at low speed and a passenger on board).
Putting her on the center stand does not take muscles... just the right technique, which has been described in great lengths on this forum. Basically look toward the back of the bike, grab the left bar with your left hand, grab the "put her on the center stand" handle with the right hand, step on the center stand thingie with your right foot, make sure the bike is centered (both sides of the stand are on the ground), rock the beast gently forward and back while putting all your weight on your right foot and pull up with your right hand.
Confused yet???:confused:
When you stop to pee, regardless of the bike being on the side or center stand, be sure to be upwind!:rolleyes:
The darn wind in NM and AZ can be tricky. I lost a saddle bag on the F650 as I was riding with my knee out to the wind to keep going straight. That is when I missed having the weight of the LT.
Glad to know you enjoyed your ride and that you made it home safely.
Now we expect a full ride report...;)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Good laughs

dshealey said:
I cannot determine if you were joking or not. Did you REALLY drop it?
Had me going, too, there, for a minute.

"Seriously though, I bought the bike from Patrick in Eugene, made it all the way home without a scratch."
Dave - Whole post up to this point was a joke, as I see it...

Good post!

:)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Schweintechnik said:
Had me going, too, there, for a minute.

"Seriously though, I bought the bike from Patrick in Eugene, made it all the way home without a scratch."
Dave - Whole post up to this point was a joke, as I see it...

Good post!

:)

I wasn't sure if he was referring to himself or the bike when he says he made it home without a scratch.

If you have actually dropped the bike 9 times I would suggest an MSF course and a smaller bike. The bike can be tough.....but not that tough. :D

Good Luck,
Kevin

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
well...(shameless plug)

I still say you should buy nine DA pins...

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Robert
How was the ride ?
Which route did you take ?
What adventures ?

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Ya, it is a tough bike to learn on.
I started out on a 2 stroke GT185 - small enough for ya?
You are going to learn the hard-way (don't use center stand at gas station).
Take the MSF beginner course and learn on "their" 250s.
and/or
Take the ERC, at least there will be people around to help you pick it up.
and/or
Take your own advise, buy a cheap small bike.
Then ride the LT.
Its just the first year that's tough. ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
WildernessJeep said:
Dropped it NINE times from Eugene, OR to Houston, TX !!!!!!

Other than that, how was the trip?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dude,

That's the funniest thing I have read in a long time. Personally, after the fifth time, I would have gotten a gun and shot myself. Just to spare further embarrassment.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Wow, that was great. Thanks. Busload of chearleaders...priceless!

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Amazed you made it home alive.

I would agree the LT takes some getting acquainted with to avoid dropping, but instead of improving you got worse as the trip went on. My suggestion is to stay close in the neighborhood back streets with no traffic or an empty parking lot with no obstruction until you gain confidence on how to handle the bike at slow speeds or a stop. You must be an expert at picking it up by now. Hope you don't hurt yourself in more ways then one.

Buy the way when you sell your bike on this site you might have to use an alas so you can suggest that it was never dropped.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Drop 6 Wind (or something) blew it over in New Mexico, and apparently it laid there sideways all night outside the hotel. I had to put 4 quarts of oil into the engine to get the sightglass full, but I was careful and followed the owners manual, making sure to fill it on the sidestand.

Glad it was a joke cause if you did the above you'd be well above full with oil....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts