BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen the side by side comparisons of the Apple iPhone and the Motorola Droid, and have to ask if anyone has tried the iPhone/iPod RAM mounts with the Droid.

Does it fit/work?

Thanks!
Dan

·
Registered
276 Posts
If I were you (well I almost am, just bought the Droid Friday :D)... I'd get the Droid car mount and try to adapt that to an existing mount. The droid car mount will automatically fire up the CAR HOME application when the droid is placed in that mount - a VERY handy thing.

I believe they are doing this through placement of magnets in the back of the case, which are detected when placed in the mount. THey also have a home mount that fires up the alarm clock. I can't wait to see what else these creative types can do with this as time goes by.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess great minds think alike.

I tried the iPhone/iPod mounting bracket only to find that it works, but is just a bit too tight. The tab that comes over the top (to hold the phone in) needs to be just a hair taller. It does work, but I suspect that in time it will be scratching up the top of the Droid case.

I'm going to look into cutting off the rounded corners on the bottom of the iPhone bracket to square the lower left and lower right on the holder hoping to gain that silly millimeter for the top clip, and a better fit in general.

As far as the idea of the Motorola car clip mod.. Thats next. There is only 2 bolts to put through to anchor the whole enchilada, but I'm not sure about the placement of the current receiver guides that Motorola molded in for the suction cup mating.

As you can tell, I'm dragging my feet a little hoping that RAM will pop up with a new bracket.... RAM: Hint hint.

Thanks for the repies!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts