·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
235 Posts
Doug
About ten years ago my wife and I were on vacation at the Grand Canyon (we both rode Harleys at that time) where we met a couple from Germany also riding their own Harleys which they had shipped over so they could ride their own bikes. After a couple of rides and meals with them I got up the courage to ask them what they thought of American drivers. The answer I received was not what I expected...they said the drivers/riders here in the states were the nicest and most courteous (they, like you have traveled in many parts of the globe) they had ever come across. India is getting more vehicle population all the time. I put a vote of go for it! Just be careful.
Ride Safe
Larry

·
Registered
860 Posts
Doug;

What RTST said... and I respect his opinions...

While in India, I noticed several things... I hope I can enlighten...

All of the cars (small mind you... nothing like an SUV over there) they have no outside rear mirrors. The reason is that they have no lanes at stop lights. Here in America, we queue up in a lane. There, they try and get eight vehicles across in a stop area of thirty feet. If you had to get out of the car, you couldn't do it by opening your door. Hence the lack of rear view mirrors. If you are on a motorbike, you have the same situation. If you can't start in a straight line, the drivers will let you know that you have no business being there.

Cows are sacred. If there is one in the road, you will stop. You will not honk. You will not try and go around. You just stop... and wait.

Vehicles in India run on a mix of gasoline, Bardahl, perfume, turpentine and what ever else one can mix into gasoline that's two to three times the price over there than it is here.

Whole families can travel on a moped. Be very aware that four to a 50cc motorbike is the norm, not the exception.

Stop signs and lights do not mean that you have the right of way. I've seen more intersection collisions in two weeks in India that I have in all my years living in Texas (not now, but when I was a young pup).

Be wary of the bus. Buses can house as many as four times the rated capacity and a bus traveler can easily fall off and land right in front of your vehicle.

Cops don't issue citations if you are stopped. They take you to jail or ask for money to forgive your transgression on the spot. Always, always, always get your Challan (receipt) from the officer if you are cited.

Pedestrians do not have the right of way... Yelling at pedestrians is a normal way of life. Yelling at others drivers is an art.

Above all.... Have fun!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
773 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts