BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 K1200LTC
46,000 Miles.

Upon return from Atlanta to Glen Burnie, noticed a roaring and clacking noise. When I returned home and put the bike on the center stand, with the engine running in neutral, there was no noise. When I put it in gear, the roaring and clacking noises returned. Any information on this problem would be appreciated.
Thank you,
James

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,908 Posts
Just pull the rear drive and you will know soon enough. It is usually the u-joint at the drive but yours is very low miles for that to have happened. Still it is possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased bike used with 6500 miles. I replaced the rear end at 15000 miles and now the drive shaft maybe at 46000 miles. This will question the person's truthfulness that sold me the bike. I relocated from New Orleans in 2007 to Glen Burnie, MD with a limited amount of tools, no garage or mc jack stand. This looks like a job BMW dealer's.
Thanks Again
James

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
howardqp said:
I purchased bike used with 6500 miles. I replaced the rear end at 15000 miles and now the drive shaft maybe at 46000 miles. This will question the person's truthfulness that sold me the bike. I relocated from New Orleans in 2007 to Glen Burnie, MD with a limited amount of tools, no garage or mc jack stand. This looks like a job BMW dealer's.
Thanks Again
James
You may question the bike seller's truthfulness (I don't know what he/she told you at the sale), butt if it were me, after 40,000 miles of my ownership, I'd be hard pressed to question the seller unless he/she told me nothing would 'ever' go wrong with the bike. Especially if the things that have gone wrong are not unique to the model, and have also happened to other similar bikes with less, or more, mileage. But, that's just me.

You might check around in your region and see if anyone is conducting a tech session that you could attend; ask for help from some of the wrenching gurus there (you've got a bunch of good ones there) and maybe resolve the issue with sharing of tools and equipment and knowledge. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
818 Posts
jzeiler said:
Just pull the rear drive and you will know soon enough. It is usually the u-joint at the drive but yours is very low miles for that to have happened. Still it is possible.
I had the same symptoms....and will be pulling the rear drive in the next few weeks. Is it like u-joints on a car where you can replace just the u-joints? or would I need to change the whole drive shaft?

I guess I can' search on that. Thanks for what seems like the most likely villain.

oh, 72k miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts