BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and good day to all.
I feel vibrations that i never felt before, (2003 BMW K1200LT, with 131000 miles on it) and I believe the drive shaft is on its way out. My questions are to all of you, how complex is it to change the drive shaft? Any special tools needed? any idea on the cost of repairs?

I do appreciate any advices, comments, expertise. Thank you and happy roads!

Jean

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
All you have to do is pull the rear drive off to get to the drive shaft. Hefty 12 mm Allen, 30 mm socket and a breaker bar to get it off. Slotted 30 mm deep socket to set the locking torque on the adjustable pin. Changed my shaft at 98,000 as I had the drive off and transmission out for a bearing replacement. The u-joints felt a little "notchy". I got my replacement off e-bay years ago from a low mileage bike.

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
768 Posts
Just a little suggestion before you begin dismantling. Have you thought about getting your wheel balance checked.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All you have to do is pull the rear drive off to get to the drive shaft. Hefty 12 mm Allen, 30 mm socket and a breaker bar to get it off. Slotted 30 mm deep socket to set the locking torque on the adjustable pin. Changed my shaft at 98,000 as I had the drive off and transmission out for a bearing replacement. The u-joints felt a little "notchy". I got my replacement off e-bay years ago from a low mileage bike.
On a scale from 1 to 10 how difficult is it to do! On man job or need help? what challenges may I encounter as I pulled the rear drive out?
Thank you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Can the U joints be rebuilt?
I noticed a slight "notchy" in mine as well.

·
Registered
89 Posts
On a scale from 1 to 10 how difficult is it to do! On man job or need help? what challenges may I encounter as I pulled the rear drive out?
Thank you.
A 4 at most I would say.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
It is a "no service" drive shaft. Have to replace.

If you want to see what is involved look at Part 1 here Weep Hole Drilling Video

·
Registered
683 Posts
When my final drive went out, I felt a vibration I never felt before....if you’re thinking drive shaft, then I would assume you have checked the final drive fluid for “metal dandruff “ already??

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a R1200rt that I recently replaced the drive shaft. I would call it a 6 or 7 on scale of 1-10.
I looked at numerous You tubes and went for it. I bought a shaft from Beemer shop in Scotts Valley Ca.
I don't know if they have one for the K1200lt. The shaft is rebuildable that they sell. Mine cost $650
plus some grease torn boot and day and a half of working on it I am very happy with the results.
Prior to starting I called BMW and they wanted $1300 for the shaft and about $800 labor.
Good Luck

beemershop.com

·
Registered
369 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Very good info, thanks !
Still pricey though, but a good option, particularly for those in the States.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wow, those prices are good!
Shipping, on the other end is what kills us. Almost $100 CAD.

😥

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hello and good day to all.
I feel vibrations that i never felt before, (2003 BMW K1200LT, with 131000 miles on it) and I believe the drive shaft is on its way out. My questions are to all of you, how complex is it to change the drive shaft? Any special tools needed? any idea on the cost of repairs?

I do appreciate any advices, comments, expertise. Thank you and happy roads!

Jean
My guess is final drive... I have parts if you need them..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts