BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a few months I have thought my clutch was slipping. Last Saturday I dumped the clutch pretty good and went about 100 yards with the tach close to red line, and I had to coast to the shoulder with no mo-jo. I got the bike flat bedded to my dealer (BMWSCC). (The Allstate roadside plan worked very well)

After the dealer got the bike torn down he said the drive shaft had failed. From what little I know, the drive shaft is comprised of two primary metal shafts. One goes inside the other and are bonded together with some sort of vulcanized rubber. When I inspected the parts yesterday it was obvious that this rubber bonding had failed.

Has anyone had a similar experience, or able to shed any further light and knowledge on this subject? The bike is a 99 with 61k on it. The mechanic said they have seen a few fail on GS's but this is the first LT. Do you think it is possible that BMW would cover this although out of warranty. My extended warranty expired about a year ago.

While the bike was apart I had them go ahead and replace the clutch, seals and slave cylinder. My mechanic liked the idea of drilling the weep hole for the slave cylinder.

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
We have heard of this failure before, though it seems fairly rare. I can think of less than 5 cases reported over the years.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Like Meese said it is a rare type of failure; not the usual driveline problem we've been experiencing. Having the slave cylinder weep hole drilled now is a good thing. Don't ask me how I know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts