BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two driveshafts and I need to take the separate both of them and then reinstall the best parts from them to make one drive shaft.

I haven't been able to find any information or video's on Youtube on it.

I'm familiar with automotive CV joints that bolt in with U joints and the types that are held in with circlips. But the driveshafts don't have either of those and I don't want to destroy them figuring out how to switch them out.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
I have two driveshafts and I need to take the separate both of them and then reinstall the best parts from them to make one drive shaft.

I haven't been able to find any information or video's on Youtube on it.

I'm familiar with automotive CV joints that bolt in with U joints and the types that are held in with circlips. But the driveshafts don't have either of those and I don't want to destroy them figuring out how to switch them out.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Tom, you got your answer in your other need help post from several people including jzeller.

The drive shaft is not serviceable. There are 2 parts to it however. The long part that connects to the transmission with the first u-joint and extends down the swing arm and the spline shaft with a second u-joint that connects to the final drive and inserts into the long part when installing the FD. Both these yokes are held on with a spring circlip as are automotive half shafts when inserted into the transmission. They both can be removed respectively from the trans and the FD but the u-joints themselves are stamped into place and again, not serviceable. To remove these parts, you can pry them out but be very careful not to damage any threads in the swing arm. If you have 2 full drive shafts, you will have 4 pieces when removed. Pick the best of the 2 and make one shaft to reinstall. The picture below shows as far as they come apart.

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have been more specific.
The picture should help. I have two driveshafts ( I may not be using the right terminology)
The longer half of the driveshaft has spun in it's rubber insulated housing and I ordered a replacement though ebay
The one that I got from ebay has a good longer half of the drive shaft (not spun in housing) but arrived with the female splines (which install into the transmission ) hammered in such a way as to make the drive shaft uninstallable.

You mentioned that a spring cerclip holds the u joints in place.
That was specifically my question, I didn't want to start digging or hammering and destroy the driveshafts.
The Chilton Manual doesn't address how to separate them and I am looking forward to getting this thing back together.
Hopefully without buying any more unnecessary parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
no.... the C clip is inside the spline so when you push the drive shaft onto the rear out put shaft it keeps the spline and universal from sliding off, I will say it again you "CANT" replace the universal joint, if you want to go to all the trouble it will have to go to an engineer, they would be able to get it out using a mill, you have to be able to supply a new universal and then get them to lock it in again. Just buy another one in good shape.....If you haven't a clymers workshop manual then grab one.
you can clearly see in your photo the little indents around the outer hole pressing onto the uni, they are what renders the shaft as not serviceable..

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,561 Posts
You may be able to use a small file and clean up the "hammered" end. It is very hard to seat the drive shaft going in through the swing arm. I find it easier to pull the pivot pins on the swing arm and use the hole to help align the drive shaft with the transmission.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you don't mind, what is the part number on the drive shaft that you are trying to fix? Should be stamped on the tube.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The driveshaft that I removed from my 2000 Lt had no markings that I could see.

My ebay driveshaft has the following markings.
bmw26.11-2 332 302 /0/ 68
wet 23/00

1 - 8 of 8 Posts