BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started hearing a rattling sound when I go over bumps at slow speeds. So today when I washed the bike I put it up on the center stand and moved the back wheel forward and backwards while in gear, it made a clunking sound after about 6" of travel in both directions. Slight build up of oil around the rubber around the final drive. Check fluid and it looked good. It is usually changed every oil change, sometimes every other change. When I move the wheel in neutral, it does not make the sound and feels smooth.

Any ideas what could be bad? I am thinking some kind of universal joint in there somewhere.

Bike has 82,000 miles and is a daily driver back roads for about 45 mins a day back and forth to work. Not much stop and go, only 2 stop signs between my house and work.

·
Registered
999 Posts
the universal joints can and do fail - pics in other threads - you is going to have to take a look

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,916 Posts
I get about 4 inches of tire travel in fist gear, measured at the center of the tread, when in first gear. No clunks when cold but it will clunk when warm. Usually when a u-joint is going south it generates a good deal of vibration. May be worth pulling the final drive and inspecting it.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
gary45 said:
the universal joints can and do fail - pics in other threads - you is going to have to take a look

++++1, the driveshaft should be changed out. They are easy to find on ebay. Make sure you get both u joints, alot of them are only sold with the one joint.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts