BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still a newbie to the K1200LT (2002).Noticed a driveline noise that seems to most prevalent at ~2000-3000 RPM, and under a neutral load - i.e. not accelerating or decelerating. Bike was recently serviced by a good dealer and all fluids changed - noise may have been there previous to the service.

Normal? Warning of impending failure? Any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
I have a 2005 that has a growling noise at the same RPM range. I have had two BMW dealers tell me it is normal. It is frustrating though that a normal engine can sound like it is full of rocks and ready to fall apart. I have been told to run it at higher rpms and turn up the radio.

this is what I know anyway.
Willie


davewrit said:
Still a newbie to the K1200LT (2002).Noticed a driveline noise that seems to most prevalent at ~2000-3000 RPM, and under a neutral load - i.e. not accelerating or decelerating. Bike was recently serviced by a good dealer and all fluids changed - noise may have been there previous to the service.

Normal? Warning of impending failure? Any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
My 05 has the same noise from 2700-2900 rpm. It is normal for this bike
even though it sounds pretty bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Mine ocurres only in 5th gear, 61-64 mph, no other gear during the same rpms, strange!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,525 Posts
Check your header and the attaching bolts. You could have as stud broken.. Also the welds at the collector can sometimes crack, Causing a bad noise. Just rap on the header pipes with a rubber hammer..... But barring those things...

They do make a hell of a lot of noise....


John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
If the noise is a horrible whine and it happens between about 53 and 60 mph then you are in good company. They all do it! I NEVER ride 55 mph in 5th gear. The whine will drive you NUTS!

Jut shift down to 4th gear or speed up to about 60 mph or a schoche more and see if the whine goes away.

Loren
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
I hear a whine also, but it's when I get closer to 100 MPH!!! You wouldn't think I could here my wife thru the helmet and with the radio cranked! :histerica
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,839 Posts
wa1200lt said:
If the noise is a horrible whine and it happens between about 53 and 60 mph then you are in good company. They all do it! I NEVER ride 55 mph in 5th gear. The whine will drive you NUTS!

Jut shift down to 4th gear or speed up to about 60 mph or a schoche more and see if the whine goes away.

Loren
My 2007 doesn't have all of the noises that mose describe here. I don't hear any noticeable whine. The main noise I hear is the ticking of the injectors at idle. I ride 55-60 in 5th all the time with no problem. Then again, maybe those 5 years of working as a logger with a Stihl cranking at 9,000 RPM has muted my "whine" hearing spectrum. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,304 Posts
Voyager said:
My 2007 doesn't have all of the noises that mose describe here. I don't hear any noticeable whine. The main noise I hear is the ticking of the injectors at idle. I ride 55-60 in 5th all the time with no problem. Then again, maybe those 5 years of working as a logger with a Stihl cranking at 9,000 RPM has muted my "whine" hearing spectrum. :)

What?

Robert
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,022 Posts
Voyager said:
My 2007 doesn't have all of the noises that mose describe here. I don't hear any noticeable whine. The main noise I hear is the ticking of the injectors at idle. I ride 55-60 in 5th all the time with no problem. Then again, maybe those 5 years of working as a logger with a Stihl cranking at 9,000 RPM has muted my "whine" hearing spectrum. :)
how many miles on the bike - the K's seem to get smoother and quieter with miles, my K12 is the same as my K100 and K1100 - at 100 kph (60 mph) if I put my head down near the tank all I hear is humming and up around 130 kph she is even quieter - I may be going deaf or just so used to them
usual vibration around 4,500 rpm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
Voyager said:
My 2007 doesn't have all of the noises that mose describe here. I don't hear any noticeable whine. The main noise I hear is the ticking of the injectors at idle. I ride 55-60 in 5th all the time with no problem.

WOW ! I am going to get an 07 then !!! Mine is the noisiest motor I have ever had on any vehicle including 4 Harleys. I am actually embarrassed to ride in my community because it sounds so bad. My understaning is that the amount of noise varies between LT's even of the same year so I must have one that is on the high end of the spectrum. Oh and I have 46 k on it and running synthetic.
I am finding running it at high rpm,s (4k +) is better and less noise.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,433 Posts
Drive line growl ????

What tires are you running . . . the reason I ask is that most often when the word "growl" is
used it is a front tire howl and growl coming from Metzler tires. In some instances the rear
can also create the noise.

So when running down a straight smooth asphalt road weave the bike back and forth and
see if the growl intensifies or deepens in noise level. if that is the case you win the prize
for having howling / worn Metzlers!!

If that is not the case . . .never mind!! :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,839 Posts
gary45 said:
how many miles on the bike - the K's seem to get smoother and quieter with miles, my K12 is the same as my K100 and K1100 - at 100 kph (60 mph) if I put my head down near the tank all I hear is humming and up around 130 kph she is even quieter - I may be going deaf or just so used to them
usual vibration around 4,500 rpm
31,000 miles. However, I don't ever recall any objectionable whines or other noises coming from my LT, even when new. Like I said, maybe my days of running a chain saw all day have deadened my hearing in the frequency spectrum of the LT whine(s).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,839 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,839 Posts
dfinazzo said:
Drive line growl ????

What tires are you running . . . the reason I ask is that most often when the word "growl" is
used it is a front tire howl and growl coming from Metzler tires. In some instances the rear
can also create the noise.

So when running down a straight smooth asphalt road weave the bike back and forth and
see if the growl intensifies or deepens in noise level. if that is the case you win the prize
for having howling / worn Metzlers!!

If that is not the case . . .never mind!! :D
+1.

The only objectional noise with my LT is from the Metzelers when they get half worn or so. When you lean into the turns they will really howl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Sounds like you have normal noises. My '05 is very noisy, but it's getting better as time goes on (or maybe I'm just noticing it less...). If you use earplugs, it sounds sewing machine smooth...!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
795 Posts
Are you certain it is all the driveline? Three is a lot of tupperware, any number of pieces of which could be vibrating against another - if that's it good luck!

On the flip side, my LT makes a fair amount of noise in that same range of RPM, much is engine and some is various tupperware pieces. Either way I have often wondered what might be wrong with the beast, but it runs like a top and I have just come to accept it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,502 Posts
Also, make sure you check the bolts for the center stand. I was getting some noise around 30K on my '07 and it ended up being those bolts that had loosened over time.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top