BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Anton, yours looks different than mine (2002 K1200LT). The retainer ridge is only about 1mm high and there is a groove around the bottom of the cavity. Not sure what that's for.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Looks like you still have the metal frame of the old seal stuck in there, that would explain a lot!

·
Registered
38 Posts
It sure does look like that, although I'm not familiar with a seal which would leave that kind of metal shell in place. Normally the frame of the seal overlaps the innermost bevel enough that the knockout tool can get behind it. Anyway, it does look like something is in there keeping the new seal from fully seating. Check with a magnet to see if it's steel.

EDIT: New pumps are $907!!! That is crazy!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Oh wow, Jzeiler and Anton, that was it! The old seal was so bunged up I didn't realize the metal shell was still inside. Back on the road! Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
EDIT: New pumps are $907!!! That is crazy!
Oh wow, Jzeiler and Anton, that was it! The old seal was so bunged up I didn't realize the metal shell was still inside. Back on the road! Thanks a bunch.
Anton, Yes, $907 is steep and even just the large gear and impeller shaft is $227 if that was corroded beyond use.

FlyOrBike, Glad that got sorted. Things didn't add up. If you had posted a pic of the piece of the seal you puilled out, one of us might have asked where the rest of it was as that clearly wasn't all that should have come out since the pieces have nowhere to go. Ride on and leak no more. Consider coming by the Ironhorse MC lodge in stecoah NC for one of our get togethers assuming Covid doesn't rearrange our plans again. We love to meet up with other LT riders.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts